X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    I recommend to talk to Bryn or find a used one like Bryn has. THe one he found has analog outs.
    A DAC really isn't that "techy" in my mind, and will probably make your current CDs sound better. There are decent DACs that do this ranging from 100 pounds to unobtainable. You may want to consider a Cambridge Audio DAC, such as the DAC Magic, which
    had a reputation for being inexpensive and very good sounding, and since you have a CA Amp.
    Again, it helps to define how much you want to spend here. My guess is that 500 pounds would buy you the CA DAC Magic, a decent BDP with an output that will be compatible with the DAC, and not only will you be able to play Blu Rays but your huge CD collection will be enhanced. If that is more than you want to go at this time, then we can talk other gear.
    Blu Ray is not dominating any market, btw. All Physical Media or on the wane vs the onslaught of streaming
    I'm treating myself to a forthcoming 65th birthday present when the various pensions kick in so, in the circumstances, £500 would be the sort of budget I have in mind. It's not until early June and I don't retire until December, so I have time to look at what I want. I was wholly unprepared for the connectivity problem, one that usually spells death for any new format making its way in the market (which is another concern), but if it's there then I have to deal with it.

Your suggestions seem to be in accord with what I need to do, for which many thanks. I know that JLW, for one, has tried to convert me to the merits of the CA DAC Magic so perhaps now is the time.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      I'm treating myself to a forthcoming 65th birthday present when the various pensions kick in so, in the circumstances, £500 would be the sort of budget I have in mind. It's not until early June and I don't retire until December, so I have time to look at what I want. I was wholly unprepared for the connectivity problem, one that usually spells death for any new format making its way in the market (which is another concern), but if it's there then I have to deal with it.

Your suggestions seem to be in accord with what I need to do, for which many thanks. I know that JLW, for one, has tried to convert me to the merits of the CA DAC Magic so perhaps now is the time.
      Can I take it that you are happy enough with 2 channel stereo, and do not foresee a future temptation towards surround sound?

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

If I need to go DAC which one should I be looking at?
        Mention has been made of the CA DAC Magic. I think it’s decent enough, but there are others which may be similarly priced which may now be as good or better. I had a DAC Magic briefly, but I returned it to the shop (Richer) as I couldn’t honestly say it was better than the DAC in my CD player. However that was years ago - things have possibly moved on since then. I did buy another DAC later from Stan Beresford. I also used a Squeezebox Classic and SB Touch for some while - both having decent enough DACs, but giving a slightly softer sound. Different DACs may sound different - and some may sound obviously better, but some may just emphasise different aspects of a recording e.g. very “smooth” sound - lovely to listen to, while others may have you on the edge of your seat with very sharp attack.

I don’t know what the current “best” recommendations for DACs are, though the immediate issue relevant to this thread would seem to relate to connectivity. Check what outputs the source kit has and see if there’s a match with a candidate DAC. Possible connections include Toslink optical, Toslink coax, HDMI and USB. For some physical connections software drivers may be needed.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Mention has been made of the CA DAC Magic. I think it’s decent enough, but there are others which may be similarly priced which may now be as good or better. I had a DAC Magic briefly, but I returned it to the shop (Richer) as I couldn’t honestly say it was better than the DAC in my CD player. However that was years ago - things have possibly moved on since then. I did buy another DAC later from Stan Beresford. I also used a Squeezebox Classic and SB Touch for some while - both having decent enough DACs, but giving a slightly softer sound. Different DACs may sound different - and some may sound obviously better, but some may just emphasise different aspects of a recording e.g. very “smooth” sound - lovely to listen to, while others may have you on the edge of your seat with very sharp attack.

I don’t know what the current “best” recommendations for DACs are, though the immediate issue relevant to this thread would seem to relate to connectivity. Check what outputs the source kit has and see if there’s a match with a candidate DAC. Possible connections include Toslink optical, Toslink coax, HDMI and USB. For some physical connections software drivers may be needed.
          Come on Dave, it's confusing enough for many without confounding Toslink with coaxial. Toslink (a Toshiba Trade Mark) is a fibre-optic link. Coax (S/PDIF = Sony/Philips Digital Interface) is copper.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

DAC Quality is all over the place, and I think that CA has been upgrading the DAC Magic, but it is a budget DAC, and it’s possible that it didn’t best your CD Player. I was recommending it here because I had a feeling that Petrushka’s budget would be in the 500 pound range(I am doing my retirement planning and kit that seemed irresistible previously is becoming very resistable)., and also Pet seems happy with his CA amp, might as well go with the House Sound. Certainly, getting into the 1500 pound range would bring much quality in the lower ends of the Mytek, Benchmark, and Chord offerings, just to name a few.
            Dave raises a good point, Petrushka, in that if improving the quality of CD replay is an attractive idea, you may want to try and audition the CA DAC Magic in your Home first.
            Btw, the Yamaha Aventage BDP have analog outs, and go for around $400 here

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Can I take it that you are happy enough with 2 channel stereo, and do not foresee a future temptation towards surround sound?
              You're correct on both counts.

Having the (I thought) simple idea of purchasing a blu ray player seems to have turned into something fraught with problems!
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Come on Dave, it's confusing enough for many without confounding Toslink with coaxial. Toslink (a Toshiba Trade Mark) is a fibre-optic link. Coax (S/PDIF = Sony/Philips Digital Interface) is copper.
                Sorry if I made things worse, but some devices only have optical, some only coax, while some have both. I think essentially they use the same protocols, but it’s no use connecting an optical cable to an electrical output, or vice-versa. Some people claim that the coax (electrical) links are better, though the optical links should be immune to electrical interference along the cable. Such interference shouldn’t really affect the links much anyway because of the nature of the signals used. Generally now the latest incarnations of HDMI are better than either, and can handle higher data rates and multi-channel outputs.

Some DACs do have USB but then there are issues about the protocols used over the link and the clock used in the DAC. I have one with USB which is useful for connecting to a computer - but that is not a requirement, it appears. Mine is not one of the better ones, but it is adequate, and sometimes very convenient. Probably not worth following that.

I didn’t previously mention ethernet - another possible wired link format.

Should I make things worse and mention the different forms of wireless? Perhaps not, at this stage, though there are moves in that direction. I have always felt that wired links give better results and are more reliable, but sometimes it’s hard to be sure.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

You're correct on both counts.

Having the (I thought) simple idea of purchasing a blu ray player seems to have turned into something fraught with problems!
                  It’s not really that bad, but you just need to make sure that the player has an output which the DAC can use as an input. One can argue about the different forms of input or output, but for stereo most compatible connections should work well enough - and ignore the comments made in msg 37.

Comment

• Anastasius
                    • Mar 2015

And don't forget, if you do think about playing CDs on whatever you buy, make sure you take along something like an opera disc to check the player plays it gap-less ...nothing like a CD player inserting a gap between tracks to ruin ones day DAMHIKT
                    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

Working...
                    X