X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Blu-ray Players

I'm currently in the market for a blu ray player but the amount of choice is wide as is the range of prices. I'm not much into films or opera on film and want one mostly for music. The thought of listening to the whole of the Ring, Mahler symphonies etc without any side breaks is very enticing and I already have a few awaiting purchase of a player.

So with the bewildering choice available which blu ray player would forumites recommend?
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    I'm currently in the market for a blu ray player but the amount of choice is wide as is the range of prices. I'm not much into films or opera on film and want one mostly for music. The thought of listening to the whole of the Ring, Mahler symphonies etc without any side breaks is very enticing and I already have a few awaiting purchase of a player.

So with the bewildering choice available which blu ray player would forumites recommend?
    Variables to consider
    1) Budget
    2) Do you want to play other media, such as CDs, downloads, and streaming? If so, do you have a DAC, or will you use the new player as a DAC? SACDs? DVD Audios?
    3) if you are happy with your current set up, what will the BRP be passing the signal to? For example, if you are using a receiver, and it accepts HDMI, then a relatively cheap BRP can sound very good, as the sound will demand mainly on the quality of the AVR. If you are using a non HDMI digital out from the BRP, or if you are connecting the BRP with its RCA (analog) outputs to your AVR or preamp, the. You should spend more, because the bare bones BRPs are compromised in their non HDMI analog and digital outputs.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

The Sony ones generally play SACDs which is a bonus.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 651A amplifier and would be looking to connect to that.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 651A amplifier and would be looking to connect to that.

https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.c...8031-Azur-651A
          Doesn't look as though your amp has an optical in, but it does have USB, which the manual states can be used to connect to Apple or Windows computers. Some BRPs still have analogue outputs I think, so if you don't mind a lot of wiring, you could use that to feed into your Azur. Wiring in 2 channels is somewhat simpler than wiring in a lot of channels - depends if you want to have anything more complex. If it's "only" for stereo then probably no real difficulty.

As rfg mentions if you are going to use analogue inputs to your amp, then it may be better to buy a DAC to go with a cheaper BRP, or else pay more and get one with better outputs.

Alternatively, if you want to play with computers, you might be able to find a way to exploit the USB - though it's not quite obvious - even from the details on page 8 of the manual, whether the USB is intended to output to a computer, so you can play the audio via loudspeakers connected there, or if its for input from a computer so that you can play from your computer to your amp.

As you already have the amp, you can presumably test this, if you haven't done so already.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Doesn't look as though your amp has an optical in, but it does have USB, which the manual states can be used to connect to Apple or Windows computers. Some BRPs still have analogue outputs I think, so if you don't mind a lot of wiring, you could use that to feed into your Azur. Wiring in 2 channels is somewhat simpler than wiring in a lot of channels - depends if you want to have anything more complex. If it's "only" for stereo then probably no real difficulty.

As rfg mentions if you are going to use analogue inputs to your amp, then it may be better to buy a DAC to go with a cheaper BRP, or else pay more and get one with better outputs.

Alternatively, if you want to play with computers, you might be able to find a way to exploit the USB - though it's not quite obvious - even from the details on page 8 of the manual, whether the USB is intended to output to a computer, so you can play the audio via loudspeakers connected there, or if its for input from a computer so that you can play from your computer to your amp.

As you already have the amp, you can presumably test this, if you haven't done so already.
            My Samsung Smart TV has an optical in if that's of any use. My reading of the manual is that the USB is for 'output from' a computer, though haven't tried it. I find all the technical issues surrounding stuff these days totally baffling as I've absolutely no technical aptitude whatsoever and need to be careful I get something that will work with what I've got.

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

From the number of times I recommend them, you might think I have shares in the company (not sure if you can, but I haven't!): have a word with the friendly and knowledgeable staff in Richer Sounds (not sure whereabouts in Staffs you live, but I see that there are branches in Lichfield and Hanley).
              They are used to dealing with people of limited technical aptitude, if their treatment of me is typical.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Never gone down this path myself but....
                Most BDPs will do a lot more than you currently need them to, so depending on aims, budget and with future-proofing in mind, why not start your looking and listening here...

Probably better stand-alone sound than the cheaper Sonys and Panasonics, you can keep your present CD Player (Technics IIRC?) for dedicated Redbook, but the Universal's Dac may even improve that. Take advice from the dealer & take well-known albums to try out or as I always say try to get a home trial on it...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

The Panasonic DMP-BD84 I bought for a mere £40 last week from Tescos as replacement for the Sainsburys Alba DVD player, which had stopped being able to "read" several of my discs, has proved to be a real boon thus far. For one as least as technically deficient as Pet, it was easy for me to set up for the limited purpose I need it for. It plugs into my Samsung TV, and my computer expert will soon be visiting to show me how the USB lan line can connect to my computer for what he claims to be invaluable additional services beyond my wildest dreams - downloadings and so on! Unfortunately it appears to be unconnectable to my beloved old SONY hi-fi, through whose amplifier I have used for playing CDs, unless some sort of connecting lead can be obtained to accommodate the double jack rear output and single red jack input. Unless anybody can inform me to the contrary, this means I will no longer have the hi fi speakers to play my CDs when the Alba finally gives out, only the inadequate TV speakers, or those of my computer, which is located here in my study and not in the living room where I prefer listening to music. But hey ho, such may be life.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    Never gone down this path myself but....
                    Most BDPs will do a lot more than you currently need them to, so depending on aims, budget and with future-proofing in mind, why not start your looking and listening here...

Probably better stand-alone sound than the cheaper Sonys and Panasonics, you can keep your present CD Player (Technics IIRC?) for dedicated Redbook, but the Universal's Dac may even improve that. Take advice from the dealer & take well-known albums to try out or as I always say try to get a home trial on it...
                    Not sure what this is supposed to mean

Designed without DACs for noise reduction and improved audio and picture quality, the CXUHD supports the latest in 4K technologies including UHD discs, HDR and Dolby Vision...
                    from the text about the CXUHD player.

I fail to see how any form of digital video or audio player can be designed to work without DACs

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

My Samsung Smart TV has an optical in if that's of any use. My reading of the manual is that the USB is for 'output from' a computer, though haven't tried it. I find all the technical issues surrounding stuff these days totally baffling as I've absolutely no technical aptitude whatsoever and need to be careful I get something that will work with what I've got.
                      I can't see any optical inputs or outputs on your amp. I think it's still the case that many BluRay players will have an optical out, so that could feed your TV, though there's probably no point really as the audio should work via the HDMI interface. If your computer is a PC it probably won't have optical out, but some (quite a lot) of Apple kit does have optical in/out. Again, if you have a computer with an HDMI out there's no real point, but some do have optical out (for audio) but not an HDMI output, so a link via an optical cable can be useful.

Unless you really need this, it might be best to ignore optical in/out features.

However, if you follow the route of getting a fairly cheap Blu Ray player (see SA's msg 9) then if it has an optical out you could pair that with a DAC to get better quality audio, and it would probably still work out cheaper than the CXUHD model mentioned upstream, though it wouldn't deliver the "hi-res" audio which some units might be capable of.

If you're right about the USB being for output from a computer you'd still need the appropriate drivers. This is mentioned in the manual for the amp - but it doesn't give too many clues.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        Not sure what this is supposed to mean

from the text about the CXUHD player.

I fail to see how any form of digital video or audio player can be designed to work without DACs
                        Gosh yes, well spotted! (The print is a bit small for me....)

Peering closely at the rear panel it says "universal disc transport"...(!).... so a strange beast really.... it doesn't have analogue audio outs at all, so can only be connected to an Av receiver or Dac via hdmi, optical or coax.... also has usb & ethernet inputs.....

This isn't made clear enough on the site at all (someone has posted a BTL complaint there), and obviously makes it unsuitable for Petrushka with his current system.
                        My apologies (on behalf of Cambridge...)

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.c...8031-Azur-651A
                          There is no DAC in that amp, I believe, and you haven’t specified that you own a separate DAC. That means you will be relying on the BDP (BluRay Disc Player) to be doing the digital to audio conversion. I have used BDPs ranging from sub $100 Sonys to the Oppo 105 and 203 Universal Players. The Cheap players work well when they are just passing signal digitally to a DAC located elsewhere, but I think that their own DACs aren’t worth bothering with, because for just a slight increase in expenditure they can potentially sound much better and take full advantage of the inherent capabilities of Blu Ray sound.
                          Last edited by richardfinegold; 14-04-19, 20:56.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            The Panasonic DMP-BD84 I bought for a mere £40 last week from Tescos as replacement for the Sainsburys Alba DVD player, which had stopped being able to "read" several of my discs, has proved to be a real boon thus far. For one as least as technically deficient as Pet, it was easy for me to set up for the limited purpose I need it for. It plugs into my Samsung TV, and my computer expert will soon be visiting to show me how the USB lan line can connect to my computer for what he claims to be invaluable additional services beyond my wildest dreams - downloadings and so on! Unfortunately it appears to be unconnectable to my beloved old SONY hi-fi, through whose amplifier I have used for playing CDs, unless some sort of connecting lead can be obtained to accommodate the double jack rear output and single red jack input. Unless anybody can inform me to the contrary, this means I will no longer have the hi fi speakers to play my CDs when the Alba finally gives out, only the inadequate TV speakers, or those of my computer, which is located here in my study and not in the living room where I prefer listening to music. But hey ho, such may be life.
                            SA, I am a little confused by what you have written, so it’s hard to advise you here. I couldn’t find that particular BDP model, but judging by the extremely low price I am guessing that it only will pass a digital signal and doesn’t have analog
                            outputs, and I am guessing that your amp doesn’t have digital inputs. The answer would be to either add a DAC to your main system or perhaps another disc spinner that does have analog outs

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                              SA, I am a little confused by what you have written, so it’s hard to advise you here. I couldn’t find that particular BDP model, but judging by the extremely low price I am guessing that it only will pass a digital signal and doesn’t have analog
                              outputs, and I am guessing that your amp doesn’t have digital inputs. The answer would be to either add a DAC to your main system or perhaps another disc spinner that does have analog outs
                              Explore the Panasonic DMP-BD84EB-K - Blu-ray & DVD Players - The compact and smart networking Blu-ray player BD84 can play videos distributed on the web by YouTube, NETFLIX and others. It also features photo and video playback from external HDD storage.

The only media output is indeed HDMI. There is a LAN connector but that is essentially for firmware updates, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X