• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

CD drives

Any suggestions for a CD drive (mainly for playing audio CDs) for Macs? The reviews for the Apple SuperDrives look pretty damning.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Any suggestions for a CD drive (mainly for playing audio CDs) for Macs? The reviews for the Apple SuperDrives look pretty damning.
    This seems to fit the bill, and can write to CD-R or DVD recordable too.

Buy Asus Slim External DVD Writer - Black at Argos. Thousands of products for same day delivery, or fast store collection.

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

I have used Apples external Optical drives now for several years. I haven’t had to buy a new one for a while so I don’t know how the market may have changed. The first one I bought stopped working after burning in a few hundred CDs. At the time they retailed here for about $80 U.S.
      I am not sure from your post what you want. Do you intend to spin CDs in a device that then is connected to a computer?
      In effect using your computer as a DAC? And if so is your computer then connected to an external DAC, or an amplifier that
      has a self contained DAC? That can be done, but I would skip the computer and just get a CD player.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
        I have used Apples external Optical drives now for several years. I haven’t had to buy a new one for a while so I don’t know how the market may have changed.
        The newest Apple SuperDrives designed for the latest Macs struggle to get ** in reviews. Some people seem to be lucky, but a majority seem to have serious complaints.
        I am not sure from your post what you want. Do you intend to spin CDs in a device that then is connected to a computer?
        In effect using your computer as a DAC? And if so is your computer then connected to an external DAC, or an amplifier that
        has a self contained DAC? That can be done, but I would skip the computer and just get a CD player.
        The Macs don't have CD drives at all, so although connecting up to the MacBook/iMac would be mainly for playing my own CDs, having a CD drive for other purposes would be useful e.g transferring data files to CD.

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        This seems to fit the bill, and can write to CD-R or DVD recordable too.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8240398
        Blimey, at £22.99 it's worth a punt! Apple SuperDrives are £79.00
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

. . . Blimey, at £22.99 it's worth a punt! Apple SuperDrives are £79.00
          For 4 times the price of the one I linked to, you could get one that also burns Blu-ray recordable discs, but I have a slight suspicion you do not feel a need for such.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

but I have a slight suspicion you do not feel a need for such.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

There are several possibles under £30 - see https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-GP57EW40...683-11-0000000

This recent article discusses the problems and current options - https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/m...#toc-3491736-4

I actually do have a Superdrive, which gets used very occasionally. I' ve not had any major problems with it, but I've had it for years and it hardly ever comes out of its box. However I also have a couple of earlier iMacs with working side mounted optical drive units, so if I want to rip a CD or install software I use them. Mostly nowadays there is no need to install software from a CD or DVD, so the only point for me is to rip CDs, which would be my normal mode. I'd then simply keep the electronic copy on a hard drive or SSD.

Regarding transferring data files to CD msg 4 - again on the whole there's not much point, except perhaps as a security blanket/backup. For transfer to other machines that doesn't help unless they also have compatible CD drives.

I do use USB sticks and HDDs and SSDs for data transfer and storage purposes. However, I will mention that even though most HDDs and SSDS and even USB sticks are quite reliable, they can fail without warning, and CDs (which may also fail... ) are usually quite good if they are checked after writing, and kept under good conditions. In the past CDs were also a cheap storage option, but nowadays solid state storage and HDDs are getting to be cheaper. It's possible to get storage now for around 10p per Gbyte (solid state or flash memory), which is the equivalent of 2 or 3 audio CDs if stored in FLAC or ALAC lossless formats, and for 3-4p per Gbyte for hard drive storage.

If using any of these devices (e.g USB sticks) it is important to format them in a way which will be compatible if transfer to PCs is a requirement. I have several times taken out a stick with all the files I wanted to use, then discovered I was using a PC which didn't know about Apple formats, and with no way to read or convert from them.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

That's pretty comprehensive. Thanks, Dave2002 I'm not into ripping CDs (which just seems like a tiresome extra job) and wanted an easy substitute for my on-the-blink hifi (do I get a new one or get someone to come and check the lens or what? …). CD storage space isn't really a problem for me and a small easily portable CD drive seemed ideal. I was just put off by the reviews for the SuperDrives.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

That's pretty comprehensive. Thanks, Dave2002 I'm not into ripping CDs (which just seems like a tiresome extra job) and wanted an easy substitute for my on-the-blink hifi (do I get a new one or get someone to come and check the lens or what? …). CD storage space isn't really a problem for me and a small easily portable CD drive seemed ideal. I was just put off by the reviews for the SuperDrives.
                  I think the drive which Bryn pointed out, or some of the ones in the lists I sent should be Mac compatible. Hopefully that's the only thing to check when buying a new one. Also, if it doesn't work and you buy from a reputable store (e.g. Argos) you could take it back.

Are you using iTunes (which some people hate ... including some who post here ...)? If so, you might actually find it convenient if you have enough space to let iTunes manage your CDs, and they can be imported as you play each one using your computer. I won't write any more about that here, as there might be a deluge of people telling me I shouldn't even be thinking that - but with your level of usage I think it might work for you.

Re your on-the-blink-hifi - have you tried one of those lens cleaining discs? That might fix the problem.
                  Good repairers may be hard to find these days, and depending on how old your equipment is it may not be possible to have it maintained economically. However there are still some around - I met one recently who came to advise about TV aerials - and he said that he does still fix things like CD players if he can get the parts. Years ago I had a cheap CD player fixed - the repair man was able to swap a complete CD drive unit into the box I think - or maybe he only changed the laser read out - but it worked afterwards and didn't cost much relatively speaking at the time. Nowadays that might hardly be worth while as the cost of new units has dropped considerably - but still could be worth checking out in your case.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    I think the drive which Bryn pointed out, or some of the ones in the lists I sent should be Mac compatible. Hopefully that's the only thing to check when buying a new one. Also, if it doesn't work and you buy from a reputable store (e.g. Argos) you could take it back.

Are you using iTunes (which some people hate ... including some who post here ...)? If so, you might actually find it convenient if you have enough space to let iTunes manage your CDs, and they can be imported as you play each one using your computer. I won't write any more about that here, as there might be a deluge of people telling me I shouldn't even be thinking that - but with your level of usage I think it might work for you.

Re your on-the-blink-hifi - have you tried one of those lens cleaining discs? That might fix the problem.
                    Good repairers may be hard to find these days, and depending on how old your equipment is it may not be possible to have it maintained economically. However there are still some around - I met one recently who came to advise about TV aerials - and he said that he does still fix things like CD players if he can get the parts. Years ago I had a cheap CD player fixed - the repair man was able to swap a complete CD drive unit into the box I think - or maybe he only changed the laser read out - but it worked afterwards and didn't cost much relatively speaking at the time. Nowadays that might hardly be worth while as the cost of new units has dropped considerably - but still could be worth checking out in your case.
                    Re. lens cleaning. IIRC, Frenchie has posted here before on the subject and has indeed has recourse to such a device.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

Not to defend Apple, but I have listed my experience with their Optical Drives above. It was annoying when the first one died, but when I complained at an Apple Store they just handed me the replacement and it has ripped several hundred CDs andfunctined as a portable DVD and CD playeron several trips including overseas flights. That’s a fair amount of functionality for under a hundred pounds and perhaps the competition is cheaper but I also appreciate that even when I used it with a Windows Computer it was plug and play, no extra drivers required or having to dive deep into the OS to make it work or figure out why it won’t work

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Not to defend Apple, but I have listed my experience with their Optical Drives above. It was annoying when the first one died, but when I complained at an Apple Store they just handed me the replacement and it has ripped several hundred CDs andfunctined as a portable DVD and CD playeron several trips including overseas flights. That’s a fair amount of functionality for under a hundred pounds and perhaps the competition is cheaper but I also appreciate that even when I used it with a Windows Computer it was plug and play, no extra drivers required or having to dive deep into the OS to make it work or figure out why it won’t work
                        So it functioned about as well as those available for less than a quarter of its price. That's Apple products for you. My plug and play, Mac compatible, external Blu-ray writer cost me less than the quoted Apple drive.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Re. lens cleaning. IIRC, Frenchie has posted here before on the subject and has indeed has recourse to such a device.
                          I have (I didn't remember I'd posted about it, though ). There is a small shop that advertises repairs to CD players/hi fi &c but it's not very near and I don't want to cart the machine on a bus and walk half a mile. But I've probably told you this too

Any thing I record through the sound system goes into the iTunes Library, but I don't use it much. To be honest, I found several years struggling with Radio 3 powerful aversive conditioning against listening to any music, and my interest is only recently reviving.

Comment

Working...
                          X