X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anastasius
    • Mar 2015

'Nanny' Safari

Is there a way to kick 'Nanny' Safari into touch ? I'm a big boy now and am perfectly capable of deciding if a site is kosher or not. Trying to open up www.audirvarna.com, 'Nanny' Safari won't let me because the certificate isn't valid.
    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
    Is there a way to kick 'Nanny' Safari into touch ? I'm a big boy now and am perfectly capable of deciding if a site is kosher or not. Trying to open up www.audirvarna.com, 'Nanny' Safari won't let me because the certificate isn't valid.
    Try using Firefox instead. Perhaps even Chrome or Opera - though I've gone off Chrome because of the Google connections. Not sure if DuckDuckGo would solve your problem - but it reduces tracking issues allegedly. Trying to locate audirvana with DuckDuckGo works OK.

Comment

• Anastasius
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Try using Firefox instead. Perhaps even Chrome or Opera - though I've gone off Chrome because of the Google connections. Not sure if DuckDuckGo would solve your problem - but it reduces tracking issues allegedly. Trying to locate audirvana with DuckDuckGo works OK.
      Yes, I know FF works OK...just it's a faff to keep messing about jumping between browsers. So was wondering if there was a setting 'Nanny' (I can't find one). TBH more and more sites are not working properly on Safari (at least my version)

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
        Probably because you've misspelt it....try here....

With Audirvāna, enjoy all your streaming and local music with the best playback sound quality from a computer.

I know it is irritating, but if your Safari is very old it will cause problems (I have to retain Mavericks on my main music server mac just to allow me to use my preferred USB interface to the DAC...

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

With Audirvāna, enjoy all your streaming and local music with the best playback sound quality from a computer.

I know it is irritating, but if your Safari is very old it will cause problems (I have to retain Mavericks on my main music server mac just to allow me to use my preferred USB interface to the DAC...

Opens fine in Safari here

Comment

• Anastasius
            • Mar 2015

Oh the embarrassment

Now works fine.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

I know it is irritating, but if your Safari is very old it will cause problems (I have to retain Maverickson my main music server mac just to allow me to use my preferred USB interface to the DAC...
              I still have Snow Leopard on one machine, but am about to contemplate moving from El Capitan to Sierra, then High Sierra on another. I think HS is the last one which will go on a late 2009 iMac. A year or more back I was involved in keeping an iMac in an office alive. It became more and more fragile, with problems with browsers and temperature control, until we eventually (a) put more memory in and (b) did a multi-stage update of the OS. I think we gave it at least one year of extra life, though I believe a nice new machine has since been purchased to replace it.

One problem which I noted, though one of our number knew how to fix it, was how to obtain intermediate versions of Apple's OS if they've never been downloaded. I think it's not a problem if someone with an Apple ID has downloaded them on any machine, as then they appear in the Purchases, and can be redownloaded. I'm not sure if there's another way. I try to keep the installation files if I can, to try to minimise the likelihood of this being a problem.

Initially if there are problems with older OS versions there might only be a few "issues", but as things progress they steadily get worse, until eventually there are just too many problems, and one or more OS updates may fix them.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

One problem which I noted, though one of our number knew how to fix it, was how to obtain intermediate versions of Apple's OS if they've never been downloaded. I think it's not a problem if someone with an Apple ID has downloaded them on any machine, as then they appear in the Purchases, and can be redownloaded. I'm not sure if there's another way. I try to keep the installation files if I can, to try to minimise the likelihood of this being a problem.
                This is a "known" issue
                The best option is to download but not install as OS versions are released
                I've had to do all sorts of nonsense in the past to reinstall "obsolete" OS's on machines which are incompatible with the new versions

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  This is a "known" issue
                  The best option is to download but not install as OS versions are released
                  I've had to do all sorts of nonsense in the past to reinstall "obsolete" OS's on machines which are incompatible with the new versions
                  The machine I'm typing this on currently is running El Capitan. I have the Sierra install file. I think I can get the HS install file too. It's a late 2009 iMac, so not - apparently - compatible with Mojave. The other iMac I have is about 6 months earlier - so I don't think it can even get to Sierra - but I leave it on Snow Leopard, and there's software on that which can't be migrated. I think there is a web site which has most/all of the earlier OS install files - which was what we used when we updated the office machine - but I've no idea where that is right now.

As you suggest, it's a good idea to download and keep the install files even if not actually carrying through with the install. I'm not sure if the install files are also machine specific - they might be - who knows? As I wrote earlier, if the files are downloaded, and the install isn't followed through, those files ought to be recoverable later from the Purchased section in the Apple Store.

Comment

Working...
                  X