• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    So you have three props to hand.
    Well, someone did suggest I should try the old Paddington trick of evening up the legs by sawing a little bit off them until they were equal. And ending up with a very low coffee table
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      And don’t forget your table leg - particularly important if travelling by plane!
      Oi! Don't you start 'n' all
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        So you have three props to hand.
        Not on most modern planes, one doesn’t.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Oi! Don't you start 'n' all
          Sorry - couldn’t resist.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            YES
            I reckon the stress of failed TM knocks a couple of years off your life and didn't do my liver any good at all
            Mmmm.... I do sympathise, but it's not possible to always blame TM.

Just to add to your collection of painful software, may I mention Disk Drill. Allegedly it's a good piece of software, and has been recommended even quite recently, though users who have upgraded to Mojave are experiencing problems with it.

I installed a trial version as I was trying to help someone to recover some photographs. The "blank blank" program installs a feature, which is supposed to help people like ff who put things into Trash, then delete them, then want them back again. It surreptitiously monitors the Trash, and stashes the contents somewhere else, for later recovery. All well and good if that's what you want.

The problem is that this uses up space, and if the files really are not wanted, then the space has to be recovered.
            Odd files such as .cleverfiles will appear and hidden folders which need to be identified and deleted are created. Sorting out how to get rid of these (absolutely unwanted) hidden folders is a nightmare. Some versions of the DD program seem to have tools for setting this "useful facility" off, which would be great. As far as I'm concerned I'd be happy to lose the DD program altogether - but it doesn't delete properly, so it's hard to get rid of the part which has this totally unwanted behaviour.

Do not under any circumstances load any version of Disk Drill unless you are aware of the features and possible consequences.
            Maybe I'm thinking of boarding a plane, with or without a table leg, and letting nature take its course!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

For what its worth anything I really want to keep I back up on two seperate 1TB LaCie drives stored in different parts of the house in addition to time machine. Excel files I also back up on a mem stick and photos on icloud . I don't totally trust time machine though it did see me thru a major hard drive crash 3 years ago ok.

Comment

Working...
              X