X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Time machine query

If I start Time Machine (macOS) , then skip after a while, does it start right over when it next restarts, or is some of the work reused?
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Why would you start it if you don't want to let it finish its work?
    I think you can do the clean up in stages, so that might be best for you if you don't want to tie up your machine for the whole time.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

What Pulcie said
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Don't use it
        Don't trust it
        It wlll let you down at the critical moment
        Clone your computer rather than trust this terrible piece of software

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          Don't use it
          Don't trust it
          It wlll let you down at the critical moment
          Clone your computer rather than trust this terrible piece of software
          Clone it AND use Time Machine: they serve different purposes. Time Machine has never let me down (fingers &c) and it's useful when it's needed.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Clone it AND use Time Machine: they serve different purposes. Time Machine has never let me down (fingers &c) and it's useful when it's needed.
            Time Machine let me down big time twice
            The cloned copy is far superior
            why use something that is unreliable ?

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Time Machine let me down big time twice
              The cloned copy is far superior
              why use something that is unreliable ?
              Because it serves a different purpose - as I just said. And, yes, clone it as well (as I also said).

You were obviously using it wrongly.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

"Time Machine Query" God, what an exciting thread title on Dr. Who Night...!
                OP - ​well, mine seems to be working now, just can't quite get a fix on the exact year... any suggestions? etc....

....and then, reality bites...

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Because it serves a different purpose - as I just said. And, yes, clone it as well (as I also said).

You were obviously using it wrongly.
                  Erm NO I wasn't

Time Machine decided that my backup disk was corrupt so couldn't read any of the data
                  after talking to others I found this is a "known issue" which happens some times
                  so Time Machine told me to completely reformat the disk thus losing everything backed up onto it

Avoid at all costs IMV

What is the "different purpose" ?
                  Backing up and restoring things ?

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Erm NO I wasn't

Time Machine decided that my backup disk was corrupt so couldn't read any of the data
                    after talking to others I found this is a "known issue" which happens some times
                    so Time Machine told me to completely reformat the disk thus losing everything backed up onto it

Avoid at all costs IMV

What is the "different purpose" ?
                    Backing up and restoring things ?
                    From that it seems as if you were using it as your sole back-up. Otherwise why did it matter that it 'let you down' if you also had a complete clone on an external drive? It does back up, but I have found it useful for restoring files which have inadvertently been deleted, and which hadn't yet been backed up.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

From that it seems as if you were using it as your sole back-up. Otherwise why did it matter that it 'let you down' if you also had a complete clone on an external drive? It does back up, but I have found it useful for restoring files which have inadvertently been deleted, and which hadn't yet been backed up.
                      Time Machine is marketed as the safe and best way to backup and restore things on your computer.
                      It is sold as something that is a sole solution
                      It's unreliable and flaky

I'm not sure what you mean by "restoring files which have inadvertently been deleted" if you aren't using an external backup drive ?
                      If you delete something by mistake it will be in the trash anyway (until you empty it) so it IS a backup.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

It is sold as something that is a sole solution
                        I'ver never seen it described thus, but then, I've never seen any marketing for it: it's on the computers and you either connect it to an external drive and use it, or you don't.
                        It's unreliable and flaky
                        One can only speak as one finds. I have found it useful - and reliable.

I'm not sure what you mean by "restoring files which have inadvertently been deleted" if you aren't using an external backup drive ?
                        If you delete something by mistake it will be in the trash anyway (until you empty it) so it IS a backup.
                        There are occasions which don't fall into that category - or trash can. But it may be in the way I work and you don't.

What I can say is that Time Machine has actually been useful to me while, although I back up both my iMac and MacBook with SuperDuper!, I've never used a back-up copy for anything: I just I have it.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          Why would you start it if you don't want to let it finish its work?
                          I think you can do the clean up in stages, so that might be best for you if you don't want to tie up your machine for the whole time.
                          Because I didn't know it might take so long. I didn't do it for months, and the backup was going to take "forever". My calculation was that it wouldn't have finished by midnight. I wanted to know what would happen if I quit the backup - "would it still take as long just to get the point at which I quit?".

In the end I left things for a while. Possibly it stalled, and the machine seemed to be getting hot as the fan was on hard. Then I quit all the other applications, and did one or two other actions to free up memory which seemed to speed things up significantly.

Finallly I just let it run, and it seems to have worked, copying 75 Gbytes to my external drive.

I agree with mrgg that it itsn't always reliable, but I do take other copies as well. I also look at the files on the TM drive, and they do seem to be a fair representation of the files which are copied.

I don't believe it is possible to be 100% secure/safe with these tools, and sometimes bad things happen. It would be very expensive to try to eliminate all the risks, and in practice impossible. I do what I can. I use TM in addition to other tools.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                            I didn't do it for months, and the backup was going to take "forever".
                            That certainly isn't how I use it. I do automatic back-ups, which seems to be what they advertise: every hour for the first 24-hrs &c.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

That certainly isn't how I use it. I do automatic back-ups, which seems to be what they advertise: every hour for the first 24-hrs &c.
                              That's OK for desktop machines, but a pain for a laptop.

Comment

Working...
                              X