X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

USB 3 cable

I have misplaced the USB 3 cables for my Freecom drives. I assumed that all USB 3 cables are similar, but this is not correct. The drive end is chunkier than the ones for Seagate/Maxtor drives.

Is this another standard form of cable? It’s slightly like (but not the same as) a USB 2 printer cable.

I can use FireWire with some machines, but not my MBP laptop. This makes the drives less useful for data exchange.

Are replacements easy to obtain?
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

There are two main types of USB connector for the peripheral end of the cable, the chunky, vertically paired one for larger items, and the micro, horizontally paired one most frequently used these days.
    Last edited by Bryn; 18-11-18, 17:02.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      I have misplaced the USB 3 cables for my Freecom drives. I assumed that all USB 3 cables are similar, but this is not correct. The drive end is chunkier than the ones for Seagate/Maxtor drives.

Is this another standard form of cable? It’s slightly like (but not the same as) a USB 2 printer cable.

I can use FireWire with some machines, but not my MBP laptop. This makes the drives less useful for data exchange.

Are replacements easy to obtain?
      Have a look at:

Using Pico oscilloscopes and data loggers with USB Type-C port. Article also provides technical background information on USB Type-C.

Maybe USB 3.0?

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
        Have a look at:

Using Pico oscilloscopes and data loggers with USB Type-C port. Article also provides technical background information on USB Type-C.

Maybe USB 3.0?
        Oops, I forgot about 3.1 type C (which is strange since only this past week I bought a 128GB USB memory 'stick' with both 3.1 Standard A and C connectors).

It was 3.0 type B and 3.1 Micro-B 10 pin I was referring to. in #2.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
          • Jan 2016

There was a time when USB was supposed to do away with all the different plugs and adapters that were necessary previously, but now I find myself having to carry a sheaf of different cables around with me as well as a dongle to go from the laptop's USB-C to USB-A, HDMI and SD cards. I guess the future is wireless...

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
            . . . I guess the future is wireless...
            WiFi, Bluetooth or . . . ?

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
              Have a look at:

Maybe USB 3.0?
              I think probably 3 type B - which is different from 2 type B. I'll buy one if I can't find the originals in time and need to connect to my laptop.

Comment

Working...
              X