X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Turn Siri off!

Siri somehow got turned on on my iPad - I didn’t ask for it, nor did I want it.

I think I turned it off, though I didn’t see all the options mentioned in this link -

Trying to turn off Siri on your iPhone or iPad but finding it difficult? Starting in iOS 11, it's not easy to disable Siri but we found how!

I wish Apple would give up changing things and “forcing” settings I don’t want on me.
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

....she may still be watching you.....
    bong ching

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
      ....she may still be watching you.....
      Time to get the Duct Tape out then.

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Sometimes I think she's the only woman who truly understands me...

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

What about the sat nav lady under the bonnet? She can, however, generally be safely ignored.

Comment

• alycidon
            • Feb 2013

I’ve just replaced my iPad 2 and the new one gives me the option of enabling Siri - which I haven’t, of course.
            Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
              I’ve just replaced my iPad 2 and the new one gives me the option of enabling Siri - which I haven’t, of course.
              I'd keep an eye on that - my feeling is that Apple will try to disable your disabling at some point, and you'll find that it's really on after all. You're very trusting if you think that you really have any say in the matter.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                I'd keep an eye on that - my feeling is that Apple will try to disable your disabling at some point, and you'll find that it's really on after all. You're very trusting if you think that you really have any say in the matter.
                What exactly is the problem with Siri? It's sitting up on my menu bar but if I happen to click on it by mistake it enquires what it can help me with and I just close the pop-up. I don't use it.

And I can see I can remove it from the menu bar if I want to …
                Last edited by french frank; 18-01-18, 18:25.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

It keeps popping up on my new smartphone, and I don't even know what it is.

And every time I get on a bus, the phone tells me it's not going to let me have any messages because it's quite sure I'm driving!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

I find Siri handy for asking about currency. I wanted to purchase a CD from Japan today and she was instantly able to translate Yen in £'s. Very handy.

Comment

• alycidon
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      Thank you for that, Dave. I hear what you say and will keep an eye open for it.
                      Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

My son became very angry with Siri, and swore heavily at him.

His reply was: "I say, there's no need for that!"

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          My son became very angry with Siri, and swore heavily at him.

His reply was: "I say, there's no need for that!"
                          My car has some voice operated features. Sometimes it gets turned on.

I couldn't make much use of it - usually it didn't do what I wanted or expected. Resorting to expletives and obscenities produced some very interesting/surprising outcomes, and was very amusing.

Let's hope that kind of technology doesn't get put into autonomous cars!

Comment

Working...
                          X