• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Tax Log-in Problems

When I attempted to file my tax return a moment ago, I was informed that a 'code' had been sent to a moblie number I didn't recognise.

Very worrying as this not only suggests someone has tampered with my account but also means I will now have to apply for a new id and security code.

It will also make me late for the deadline.

Isn't HMRC wonderful? Not.

Anyone else had this problem?
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
    When I attempted to file my tax return a moment ago, I was informed that a 'code' had been sent to a moblie number I didn't recognise.

Very worrying as this not only suggests someone has tampered with my account but also means I will now have to apply for a new id and security code.

I can't help much, other than to suggest taking a screenshot, keeping a record of the events, and so on, to try to fight any fine for late submission.

Horrible systems, oh for the properly run paper system that they had back in the Inland Revenue days when I worked there.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Conchis View Post

Well, you've got till 31/01/18, they should get the codes to you soon enough, depending on how complex your Return Calculations are....
      They've been using this phone-code security-check system for a year or two now & I've never had a problem with it - they should only send it to the number you register with them... Is this the first time you've filed online? Did you register a phone number before? Sure it isn't an older, disused or forgotten number of yours...? You only saw the last three digits, right?
      (In the unlikely event you still have the complete, unrecognisable mobile number, google it and see if anything comes up).

I bet that it's cock-up rather than conspiracy....

TS - You can still file Paper returns of course, but the deadline is 31/10 of the given year....
      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 16-01-18, 03:16.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

One change to be aware of this year is that you are no longer allowed to use a "personal" credit card to pay your tax.
        Which means that if you have cashflow difficulties at the end of January (hardly unknown) then you will have to either borrow in other ways or pay a fine/interest for late payment.

Another wonderful way that the state encourages self-employment .....NOT

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          Horrible systems, oh for the properly run paper system that they had back in the Inland Revenue days when I worked there.
          Electronic or paper, the relevant bit is whether it works and, just as important, what happens when things go wrong. Government IT projects are doomed to be problematic, and when any form of 'customer service' provision is seen a a target for reduction to 'unable to function' levels of staffing then things for the average member of the public get sticky.
          I have been having my own runaround this year and am hoping that the tax calculation letter is the end of it, but given that part of the problem I had was different departments not communicating there remains an element of doubt. The whole thing could have been sorted months ago if the so-called helpline had lived up to its name. After shelling out £10 over 3 tedious and lengthy calls only to be given wrong information and have to repeat the state of play because it hadn't been noted, or noted incorrectly, on my record, I was wondering what on earth I was supposed to do. The added worry of possibly having to challenge penalties(despite the fact that the return was filed in time) I could have done without; it is something that might still crop up given the communication deficiencies.
          Post-EU withdrawal we really will be living in 'interesting times'(in the chinese curse sense) re HMRC as it will have a tad more customs business to deal with....

Comment

• Conchis
            Banned
            • Jun 2014

I think it's all sorted now: many thanks for the suggestions and the sympathy!

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              One change to be aware of this year is that you are no longer allowed to use a "personal" credit card to pay your tax.
              Which means that if you have cashflow difficulties at the end of January (hardly unknown) then you will have to either borrow in other ways or pay a fine/interest for late payment.

Another wonderful way that the state encourages self-employment .....NOT
              In the 20 years I was SE, I once asked HMRC if I could pay a £300 in a few instalments, happy to pay interest etc.

They asked me if I could sell my car.
              The one I used to get to my customers.
              A 4 YO Rover 400 diesel. with 100k on the clock.
              Last edited by teamsaint; 16-01-18, 20:36.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                • Aug 2015

I fill in the form each year although it normally works out that they owe me a few pennies. Apparently it is best to do it to maintain a NI code or something very similar. It is always a palaver. When I went on to the site yesterday, I got the automatic call with the code but then became embroiled in pages which seem to require or recommend now an alternative back up telephone number. Shortly afterwards, it became apparent that I had already completed the form in May last year so I'm doing nothing. But it always leaves that uneasy feeling in the mind about whether it has been done or not. I've looked at the confirmation of the date on which it was submitted a dozen or more times and I still can't help but have doubts.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  In the 20 years I was SE, I once asked HNRC if I could pay a £300 in a few instalments, happy to pay interest etc.

They asked me if I could sell my car.
                  The one I used to get to my customers.
                  A 4 YO Rover 400 diesel. with 100k on the clock.
                  SNAP

It was suggested to me that I should use all of my credit card limit to pay them so I wouldn't be able to go and work anywhere.
                  When I said that this was ridiculous I was asked why I didn't put aside the money at the end of each month when I got paid..... erm assuming that I was being paid in the same way as they were. The idea that sometimes I might work for months then get paid at the end was completely alien.....

Comment

• Zucchini
                    • Nov 2010

On a happier note, I once had a visit from HM Customs & Excise. The guy started by saying that he'd been sent to my poxy little office after a stint on the Isle of Sheppy taking suspect imported Toyotas apart, using sniffer spaniels for cached drugs, hunting for stowaways and beating up anyone they didn't like. And I can smell coffee, have you got any Hobnobs. Thanks, I'll just drink this. Must go to B&Q. All the best.

Comment

Working...
                    X