X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Unwanted startup programs - Mac OS X

I have noticed that Amazon Music keeps opening on startup on my MacBook Pro. This is a nuisance.

I checked how to prevent startups - System Preferences ->Users & Groups -> Login Items
    but there is no sign of that application in the list of startup items, so I can neither enable nor disable it.

This is perhaps not the only program which does this, but it's the most noticeable right now.

Has anyone else noticed this?
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed this?
    I don't think it happens every time, but I've noticed programs opening at start-up lately, even though I always Quit everything (except Finder) when I shut down. Checking the route you suggest I find only Audio Hijack Pro Schedule Helper is checked: no idea what the Schedule Helper is and I can't see that anything relating to AHP opens.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      I don't think it happens every time, but I've noticed programs opening at start-up lately, even though I always Quit everything (except Finder) when I shut down. Checking the route you suggest I find only Audio Hijack Pro Schedule Helper is checked: no idea what the Schedule Helper is and I can't see that anything relating to AHP opens.
      This suggests something wrong with Mac OS X or the Finder - though I think you're on a different version from me. I'm still on 10.12.6 though I think an update for Sierra is in the pipeline, and I may get round to the high ground eventually.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

This suggests something wrong with Mac OS X or the Finder - though I think you're on a different version from me. I'm still on 10.12.6 though I think an update for Sierra is in the pipeline, and I may get round to the high ground eventually.
        It's not too annoying as it only opens programs I use regularly anyway. Yes, I'm on Sierra, pondering High Same for the MacBook.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          It's not too annoying as it only opens programs I use regularly anyway. Yes, I'm on Sierra, pondering High Same for the MacBook.
          So it may be the same OS X version then? I do find it irritating - as some programs take up a lot of resources and I have to shut them down - which as like you I may have already done when I closed down, is an extra annoyance. In the worst cases this can be really problematic. For example FCPX may take up a lot of memory, then it can be a rush to turn it off before the machine crashes or becomes horrendously slow, whereas this problem would be avoided if it didn't start up except on request. It's usually only a few of the active programs from the previous session which start up this way.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

So it may be the same OS X version then?
            Yes, I didn't check. I'm 10.12.6 too, but I thought you were still on Mountain Lion

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Would this solve it? Not sure what 'temporarily' means:

"Temporarily prevent items from opening automatically when you log in

If you see the login window, press the Shift key while you click the Log In button, then release the Shift key when you see the Dock.

If you don’t see the login window, restart your Mac, hold down the Shift key when you see the progress bar in the startup window, then release the Shift key after the desktop appears."

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

I think that's called Safe Boot - which is OK if you don't want to access external disk drives or USB sticks etc.

I have a couple of machines on Sierra, one may still be on El C, and an old one is still running Snow Leopard.

Comment

Working...
                X