• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Amplification

This is not another of my rants about musical amplification.

Since moving to Devon, I've been approached by a very good violinist who seeks an accompanist. The problem nowadays if fining venues that have decent pianos. They do exist, of course, but so often one has to make do. The choir I sang with in Malton had its own keyboard and speakers. The piano sound was generally good, but either lacked depth/resonance, or was too loud. I am seeking a solution.

I can buy a stage piano for a reasonable price, but this does require an extra boost. I wondered about a Yamaha "active loudspeaker", which would seem to be far preferable to a guitar amp or similar, with its principle characteristic of "boom and bust-yer-eardrums"

Can forumites help?
  • Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

Don't use a guitar amp. They don't have to be turned up to deafening volume, but they are made to amplify a specific frequency range (ie. that of the guitar) which is very restricted compared to the range of a piano. There are plenty of manufacturers that make good active speakers - Yamaha, JBL, RCF (the ones I use), Mackie... go to a shop and have a listen to a few different ones.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
      Don't use a guitar amp. They don't have to be turned up to deafening volume, but they are made to amplify a specific frequency range (ie. that of the guitar) which is very restricted compared to the range of a piano. There are plenty of manufacturers that make good active speakers - Yamaha, JBL, RCF (the ones I use), Mackie... go to a shop and have a listen to a few different ones.
      Thanks. I shall do that.

Comment

• Braunschlag
        • Jul 2017

You might also look at this one. It's very portable indeed and, quite rightly, gets very good reviews. Not stadium rock loud but excellent quality and the usual Roland battleship build. Some say it's on the expensive side, it is, but you get what you pay for. I even had a bass guitar running through it at the same time and it had no problem with that. Worth a look.

Comment

• Braunschlag
          • Jul 2017

Forgot to say - this baby Roland also accepts a stereo input from the keyboard and it does widen the image quite effectively, quite a smart little feature.
          My only experience with Yamaha was a very good stage set with a detachable amp - which blew up after 2 years and they couldn't/wouldn't sell a replacement amp on its own

Comment

Working...
          X