• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Proms 2017 in binaural sound.

As mentioned by SM-P, this year, not only are the Proms available in Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC) but also in binaural sound, and also from the BBC Taster pages. Well worth a listen on headphones.

Anyone know what codec is used for the binaural stream?

There was a binaural sound thread for last years Proms, with just two messages in it, but it has no reply facility associated with it, hence this new thread.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Well not all Proms are available in binaural, just a selection. However, those that are can still be caught after the day of the concerts at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/arti...binaural-sound

Comment

• rauschwerk
      • Nov 2010

It's bizarre. I found on my tablet at least 12 whole pieces from Proms recorded binaurally, but have searched in vain on my desktop!

Cockaigne, conducted by Andrew Davis, was most impressive. I picked up details of harmony and bass lines which I couldn't recall hearing before, and I have known this piece for many years. The coda, with the organ entry, was genuinely moving. I look forward especially to Nicola Benedetti's account of the Shostakovich violin concerto.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
        It's bizarre. I found on my tablet at least 12 whole pieces from Proms recorded binaurally, but have searched in vain on my desktop!

Cockaigne, conducted by Andrew Davis, was most impressive. I picked up details of harmony and bass lines which I couldn't recall hearing before, and I have known this piece for many years. The coda, with the organ entry, was genuinely moving. I look forward especially to Nicola Benedetti's account of the Shostakovich violin concerto.
        Yes, they seem to come and go/move around on the site's pages. I listened to last year's Schubert 'Great' C Major via the site this morning. I will try and find them and post a link.

Earlier Proms for this year are available here. I will keep searching for the earlier years offerings. This morning's audition was made possible by Googling "Schubert 9th Radio 3 binaural". Might be worth trying the same for say "binaural Proms 2016" of "binaural Proms 2015". Indeed, just tried the latter two and they throw up a few pieces.
        Last edited by Bryn; 29-07-17, 19:39.

Comment

Working...
        X