X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Moving on from Mountain Lion

I have Mountain Lion running on my MacBook Pro - but it doesn't have a lot of spare space. I have El Capitan running on another machine without major problems. Also friends haven't reported any really serious problems with Sierrra (yet?) - and it does seem to have some advantages over El C. One perhaps trivial, but maybe occasionally useful feature is the PiP (Picture in Picture) similar to iOS 10.

So - how much spare storage is really needed to install El C or Sierra over ML, or is it really best to back everything off and do a completely clean install?

Issues like this are a real pain, and may also have an influence over purchasing decisions for future machines. This is relevant to other possible purchases such as a new iMac, as Apple currently do not offer any upgrade possibilities for memory or backing store for their 21.5 inch iMac range. This is perhaps something that not everyone will spot or worry about, but it may concern some. It might swing a decision in favour of Fusion Drives over SSD for people who could otherwise be very content with (say) 130 Gbytes of SSD Memory (so actually might require more than 256 Gbytes in order to allow for future upgrades, and might find lashing out for 512 Gbytes of SSD too much to pay, or 16 Gbytes of main memory for people who might actually be reasonably content with 8 Gbytes most of the time - but might in future want to run large programs or run virtual systems.

Currently the 27 inch iMac does still have upgrade potential - or so I'm told.
  • Anastasius
    • Mar 2015

Could you use an external drive to act as an intermediary ?
    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

Working...
    X