• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

iPad v. Macbook

As I have an iMac (well, two actually, one upstairs and one downstairs) and a Macbook - the latter for carting around outside - I'm wondering if an iPad would fully compensate for the Macbook? Holidaying with a small rucksack means that most of the weight - and valuable space - would be taken up by the Macbook. But if I get an iPad - will I need the Macbook at all?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

That depends completely on what you use it for and how much...

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
      That depends completely on what you use it for and how much...
      Well, I suppose that is all the answer I need. Obviously, if just carting around in a rucksack, what would I need an iPad for except checking on the forum every 5 minutes - and emailing Mark and Andrew if it's vanished from the net (which seems to be a possibility, judging by a recent small blip! ).

I do sometimes work on the Macbook at home, but much prefer the iMac.

Not being very technologically advanced, I wasn't sure how the iPad worked. Is the iOS pretty much the same as OSX? And do you always have to be near a wireless access point, or does it work like an iPhone (another thing I don't have)?

Add: Thanks, Beefy! I've never really understood what apps are
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
        • Jan 2016

iOS isn't quite the same as Mac OS but it's near enough that you'll find your way around it quickly. There are two kinds of iPad, apart from the three different sizes: one which only connects to the internet via wifi (like your laptop) and another which can also use the mobile phone network, which is more expensive and probably not necessary for you. If it's just for the purpose you mention I think you'll be happy with it. Typing is not so easy of course because you can't feel the keys, but if you're only writing the odd brief email that shouldn't outweigh the advantage of its being so small and light.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

i'll probably get shot down, but really for a bit of quick and easy(wifi) internet connectivity abroad,along with plenty of other useful features such as a micro sd slot for music, e books etc, I'd blow £50 on a kindle fire, instead of big bucks on the ipad.
          Good battery life, small and light, and if you leave it on the beach by mistake its not the end of the world.

Which, I realise, is not the answer to the question.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

I think that Richard's answer is pretty spot on. I"m actually currently using a gen 1 iPad to type this - BUT I am using an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard which is quite good to type on. Serious amounts of typing is really not sensible using iPads, unless a decent keyboard is used. However, for less intensive work, the on screen typing modes are just about possible, and I have put up many posts on this board using such on screen typing. Be warned though, that errors are likely, and several more iterations than normal for each post would be likely.

If you are not averse to having your thoughts transmitted directly to the world - which if you are typing for the forum anyway would be the case, then Siri - the voice recognition system with the new iPads is rather good, and pretty quick - when it gets the words right. However it does require a good internet connection to work - and maybe 4G for mobile working.

Some advantages of iPads are

1. Long battery life - could be up to 10 hours, though that may be with location services turned off, WiFi and 4G and Bluetooth all turned off. On a return train journey the other day I had to fully charge my iPad before leaving, charge it again at my destination, and even with the on train charging, the battery still ran down. That was about 10 hours - with 2 charges. However mine is old.

2. In built connectivity to 3G/4G networks - though at extra cost. I have argued before that this can be worth buying, though some here disagree. I'm sticking to my position, but everyone's situation is different. However, if you buy a model without 3G/4G connectivity and then decide you need it, then your only good option is to sell the iPad for the best price you can get, and buy one with the mobile connectivity.

Don't expect an iPad to do everything that a MacBook will do. You may have been prompted to ask about this by the announcment of the New iPad Pro. I have an original iPad Pro, which is very good, but it is not so portable, being large though very light. That device is great for reading newspapers and magazines on line, and is probably better for that than a MacBook.

We often find that having mobile devices does help even if we are on holiday, for looking up services, taxis etc. iPads are good for this if you are not into iPhones or similar, and the screens are better than mobilie phones.

Some people like to go on holiday and be cut off from everyone else, in which case don't even bother!

PS: Some musicians may like them - even the iPad Pro - as it's possible to read music from the screen if the iPads are placed on a suitable stand, and a device to turn the pages is used.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              i'll probably get shot down, but really for a bit of quick and easy(wifi) internet connectivity abroad,along with plenty of other useful features such as a micro sd slot for music, e books etc, I'd blow £50 on a kindle fire, instead of big bucks on the ipad.
              Good battery life, small and light, and if you leave it on the beach by mistake its not the end of the world.

Which, I realise, is not the answer to the question.
              Very sensible answer, ts. As Richard has already written, it depends what the user might want one for.

I don't know about the Kindle Fire, but for reading books the original Kindles have enormous advantages as the screen can be read even in daylight outdoors, which is almost impossible with many other tablets.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                As I have an iMac (well, two actually, one upstairs and one downstairs) and a Macbook - the latter for carting around outside - I'm wondering if an iPad would fully compensate for the Macbook? Holidaying with a small rucksack means that most of the weight - and valuable space - would be taken up by the Macbook. But if I get an iPad - will I need the Macbook at all?

A question I'm pondering too. At the end of this month, I embark on post-work life without office comms kit (Blackberry) and data SIM card.

I'm keeping my treasured 'retro' non-smart Sony Ericsson phone with its basic usefulness for calls and texts coupled with one-week battery life, minute size and excellent FM radio.

It will leave me with my trusty old mid 2010 MacBook Pro which is portable round the home but being the cherished (but discontinued ) 17 inch size is cumbersome for journeys

I want to find something for (increased) travels, also to remain connected on email outside the home, general online purposes (the Forum!).

As I don't need phone facilities in any new kit, I'd thought about a smaller auxiliary MacBook / MacBook Air. But the need to find WiFi to get online is still problematic in my experience (I've never got to grips with the BT hotspot system - is it any good?).

So the interim conclusion I'd come to is to look at a new iPad, and bite the bullet of having a 4G SIM card to enable connectivity wherever (with an auxiliary SIM for the old phone - I gather most accounts give you two SIM cards). I like the larger screen size (and have developed a loathing for seeing people wandering around with a slab of iPhone in their hands - not interested in 'smart phones' at all really).

Another consideration is mobile music - and Beefy (in a now deleted post ) raises a concern re iTunes.

Currently I have two iPods, both 160GB Classics (4 and 2 years old). I rely on them, especially for music in the car, and for easy sync'ing with my music collection on iTunes. As we know, Apple have kindly discontinued the iPod and it's only a matter of time before mine break.

I had thought that the iPad would be the solution - load the music as with the iPod, and (for instance) in the car either plug it in or use it via Bluetooth on the car music system.

So - is it not that easy to carry music around on the iPad - surely it can sync with iTunes easily, as with an iPhone? The new iPads have capacity up to 256GB - that must surely mean music and other material can be easily sync'ed and carried around?
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

The thing I would add is that
                  The iPad is a wonderful thing indeed BUT it is a giant phone
                  there are many pieces of software that run fine (particularly if you are using open source things) on a computer BUT won't run on the iPad.

So it very much depends on what you intend to use it for.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    it very much depends on what you intend to use it for.
                    Essentially:

General internet access
                    Connection via email (mac account) and Skype
                    Having music collection (iTunes) with me

The protective case which doubles as a stand and a keyboard is an additional attraction of the iPad. Hate touch screen typing.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Essentially:

General internet access
                      Connection via email (mac account) and Skype
                      Having music collection (iTunes) with me

The protective case which doubles as a stand and a keyboard is an additional attraction of the iPad. Hate touch screen typing.
                      Fine for all of that (and more)
                      i'm a bit nervous of using it in some situations as I had a rather tricky app crash during a gig (and it was an app that ONLY exists for the iPad) which made it ask for my login details and apple id while connected to a projector and PA in a large hall.........aaaaaaaargh

But on my travels it's perfect.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        I had thought that the iPad would be the solution - load the music as with the iPod, and (for instance) in the car either plug it in or use it via Bluetooth on the car music system.

So - is it not that easy to carry music around on the iPad - surely it can sync with iTunes easily, as with an iPhone? The new iPads have capacity up to 256GB - that must surely mean music and other material can be easily sync'ed and carried around?
                        Syncing music on an iPad works in exactly the same way as with an iPhone.
                        Steve

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                          Syncing music on an iPad works in exactly the same way as with an iPhone.
                          Never had one... Same as an iPod too?

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

For me it's principally for travelling light, but being a heathen and a philistine I can stay away from music for a week. In fact it's one more thing to get away from and escape into as much silence as possible. Don't like the idea of Kindle, ts, so I'd take one book that I've always wanted to read but never got round to (which one? DK). That would be the evening entertainment.

But maybe an iPhone would be enough just to feel I was in touch …

I do have an iPod which my nephs and nieces clubbed together for one year, but I'd have to work out how and what to load on it. I wiped everything they put on because, advised by their father, they chose symphonies, concertos &c; and it was an iPod Shuffle

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              For me it's principally for travelling light
                              I agree. Minimising the need to recharge stuff is an allied desideratum...

Comment

Working...
                              X