X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Padraig
    • Feb 2013

Help with accent codes.

Without a separate numeric keypad, how do I do accents?
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
    Without a separate numeric keypad, how do I do accents?
    PC or Mac?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Padraig
      • Feb 2013

Thanks for asking, f f.
      Laptop, Windows 8. I am totally unfamiliar with most things on this machine, and my technical language has not advanced in years.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Padraig, you need ALT codes - you hold down the Alt key (just to the left of your space bar) and then key the relevant 3 or 4 number code. If you type a lot of, say, Spanish as I do, these quickly become second nature. Here's another site.

Comment

• Padraig
          • Feb 2013

Another problem I have, relevant to using the ALT codes, is that I can not keep two pages working simultaneously. Sorry to be so useless.

I used to be able to minimise a page and it sat waiting down below while I did something else. Now when I minimise I delete the page.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I don't understand that, Padraig - sounds like a problem with the computer or your office software, not to do with ALT codes particularly. Sounds like one on which to get a friend to have a look at it?

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

... anyone know how to do accents on a chrome book thing?

No numeric pad, alt codes don't work, ctrl + letter doesn't work...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                Another problem I have, relevant to using the ALT codes, is that I can not keep two pages working simultaneously. Sorry to be so useless.

I used to be able to minimise a page and it sat waiting down below while I did something else. Now when I minimise I delete the page.
                Padraig this is probably grandmothers and eggs, but presumably you've tried simply saving your work each time - "save as", give it a name, then you just have to click on the "save" button third from left at the top every so often, and before you minimise it.....

No idea re vinteuil's pronblem...

Comment

• Stunsworth
                  • Nov 2010

For anyone using an iOS device from Apple who didn't already know, if you hold down the relevant character a pop up appears of the related accented characters.
                  Steve

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                    • Jan 2014

My daughter has recently acquired a chromebook for Uni work (humanities so mostly Google Docs word processor program). She suffers mostly from the word count not including footnotes but otherwise it suits her well the laptop is light and portable and it is good value...

As to typing accents, well, Google is your friend - just do a search using this term "Typing accents in Google Docs" and you should find some guidance...

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

... many thanks, Cockernee Sparrer.

This will be useful as I get used to this new toy.

I think I can see how to do this in google-docs - am not sure whether it will work when trying to type a reply direct into this forum...

Comment

• Padraig
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                        I don't understand that, Padraig - sounds like a problem with the computer or your office software, not to do with ALT codes particularly. Sounds like one on which to get a friend to have a look at it?
                        Richard, I appreciate your efforts to assist. You didn't realise what you had volunteered for. Thank you for trying. Now, what friends do I have?

Comment

Working...
                        X