X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ARBurton
    • May 2011

"Mucky" input selector knob on Arcam Delta 290 amp

Hi all - I`ve read on the internet that it`s possible to get suitable experts to repair a "mucky" input selector knob on an Arcam Delta 290 amp (a problem from which mine is suffering). Has anyone actually had this done? I read that there are various people who claim success from squirting a cleaner of some sort into the mechanism which is generally reported as not being very effective.
  • Gordon
    • Nov 2010

I have not had the pleasure, but it looks like a fearsome beast and the problem looks endemic!! From the photos in the link it looks like something out of an old washing machine electro-mechanical controller!!! I mended ours once many moons ago but had to take the several layers apart because a couple of contacts had fused during a motor failure [another DIY fix].

You may have read this explanation already:

If so you can see that a "proper" repair to this complicated device is a bit more than just squirt of cleaner eg Electrolube or the like.

As with many modern devices with remote control it isn't a simple selector, apparently being motorised [why not solid state switched if it's a selector??] and also having several layers each having a set of contacts. The repair in this link ends up taking the switch off its PCB and taking it apart layer by layer to get at the contacts. One for DIY if you are confident and have soldering iron handy!!

Comment

• ARBurton
      • May 2011

Hi there
      Yes, the amprepairservices article gave me the horrors. I really don`t think I can do that!!

Comment

• Gordon
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ARBurton View Post
        Hi there
        Yes, the amprepairservices article gave me the horrors. I really don`t think I can do that!!
        I don't blame you, I used to be in R&D and worked at the bench with soldering irons etc a lot in my youth and I'm not sure I'd want to tackle that beast. Whatever possessed them to use such a thing! I hope you get it fixed without too much expense.

Comment

• ARBurton
          • May 2011

Thank you. I do wonder whether it`s time to Get With The 21st Century and move to something like an Arcam solo or all in one gadget rather than having all these separate boxes....

Comment

• Pianoman
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by ARBurton View Post
            Thank you. I do wonder whether it`s time to Get With The 21st Century and move to something like an Arcam solo or all in one gadget rather than having all these separate boxes....
            Well, I can certainly recommend that approach - the Solo has always been a good machine from early days (I still have the 1st generation model) but the latest incarnation has a lot more going for it - if you like the warm Arcam 'house' sound, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Comment

Working...
            X