X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Wireless USB sticks

Has anyone else noticed these? - http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Conn...reless+sandisk

I saw them first in Tesco - and couldn't quite work out how much use they'd be.
  • David-G
    • Mar 2012

Interesting! Not quite sure what the advantage is, as opposed to just plugging into a USB port. I can't imagine that the transfer speed would be so good with wireless. (Maybe I stand to be corrected?) Would they talk to the pc directly or to the router?

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by David-G View Post
      Interesting! Not quite sure what the advantage is, as opposed to just plugging into a USB port. I can't imagine that the transfer speed would be so good with wireless. (Maybe I stand to be corrected?) Would they talk to the pc directly or to the router?
      Here is another wireless device, which seems to do similar things - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-982.../dp/B00CZ0P0PS

Looking at the reviews suggests that these are useful for people who have mobile devices - android phones, iPhones, iPads with limited memory. They can be used to store videos or music which may take up a lot of space on the mobile device. The wireless connection may be good enough for some uses, though probably won't be so much use for many travellers by air as many airlines do not permit the use of wireless equipment onboard aircraft, though some have done.

As long as the broadcast data rate is high enough for video, then these could definitely fulfil a use for video or music streaming. The input data rate, most probably via a wired connection, would affect the ease of putting data on to the storage device.

Some of these can also broadcast to multiple devices, perhaps simultaneously, which may also be helpful for groups.

Partly the problem arises because some portable devices are made with too little memory, and this very possibly is for commercial reasons to increase profits. It can also be because of historical/technical reasons. A few years ago it might have been too difficult or expensive to make, say, an affordable Android phone with a lot of memory.

Another problem with some portable devices is that they don't support USB connections, and many users of Apple devices are not particularly keen to use iTunes or other software to exchange data with their portable devices by proprietary cables.

Comment

Working...
      X