X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anastasius
    • Mar 2015

Mac OSX cautionary Download tale

I decided to download a tracker blocker onto LOML's iMac and Ghostery came out very well after a bit of Googling and so I clicked on the button to download it from the site where I happened to be on after all that Googling. Up popped a message to load the Download Installer...fine, I thought...and Ghostery was duly downloaded and run OK as an extension in Chrome (her preferred browser - God knows why).

A few days later she remarked that her iMac kept being woken up from sleep and a nag screen appearing saying that she had some free storage in the cloud and to Activate Now or Later. She chose Later (she knows never to click on anything that she's not familiar with).

Long story - short. That Download Installer came from a site ...for the life of me I cannot remember which one else I would stick the URL down here so you can avoid it like the plague...could have been something like CNET whatever. Anyway, I digress. Said Download Installer also installed JustCloud without so much as a bye-your-leave. If I could remember the site then I would send a terse message. JustCloud is a kosher backup site in the cloud but we have no use for it (or wish to use it) and I managed to uninstall it. But it could so easily have been a virus or malware (we run Sophos so chances are that any malware would have been picked up but better to be safe than sorry).

Normally I always 'play safe' on the Mac but on this occasion, my customary caution seemed to go on holiday.
    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
Working...
X