X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

**** iCloud

I seem to have somehow, perhaps without my knowledge, got nearly 5 Gbytes of files stored in iCloud. I really do not want the files there at all. I do not trust Apple or anyone else. Since my data has perhaps already been compromised, I could simply delete it in the iCloud I suppose, but on balance I think the best thing is going to be to find a way to download all the files to a hard drive, then delete everything in iCloud. Probably most of the files are innoccuous, but some may be confidential and should never have left my machine.

Does anyone know how to do this reliably? I may be paranoid, but I really don't think data should be moved off my machine without my permission, and I really don't want it to be.
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

I don't know how to elected from the cloud. I had posted earlier my surprise in discovering that my iTunes collection had been moved to the cloud. It is very creepy.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      It is very creepy.
      Indeed!

Comment

• Anastasius
        • Mar 2015

My thanks, Dave, as I'd normally not fussed about iCloud (since like you I don't use it) but was curious only to discover that my Keychain is in the cloud!! Digging in a bit further it seems that Apple want iCloud to be God. If you try to remove stuff from iCloud then it seems to suggest that you don;t but remove it from your devices - which is really where I want it. Or something like that.

iCloud is not for me.
        Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• Frances_iom
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          ... I may be paranoid, but I really don't think data should be moved off my machine without my permission, and I really don't want it to be.
          have you checked your Apple EULA - if like Win10 it gives them full control of the machine you bought - be happy within your walled garden after all you are paying quite a lot for it (Apple and M/S didn't make the billions they now have by being considerate to sheeple - you could however be rational and switch to Debian (or possibly MINT)

Comment

Working...
          X