X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

ECC vs NON ECC memory upgrades

I ran the Crucial Scanner over two of my iMacs recently, to see if it might be worth upgrading the memory. The upgrades are relatively affordable, but I notice that Crucial's suggested memory is NON ECC (i.e not error correcting memory). Does this really matter? Isn't the Apple installed memory the ECC kind? I did an upgrade once before and I as quite pleased with it, but surely ECC memory should be more resilient, or am I wrong?

Comments?
  • Anastasius
    • Mar 2015

I recently upgraded the memory in my wife's iMac and an old MacBook. Both times I simply ran the Crucial checker, opted for the largest memory I could fit in and added it to the basket! I didn't even bother to look at the spec.

They both work fine.
    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
      I recently upgraded the memory in my wife's iMac and an old MacBook. Both times I simply ran the Crucial checker, opted for the largest memory I could fit in and added it to the basket! I didn't even bother to look at the spec.

They both work fine.
      I agree that the memory from Crucial might work fine. I installed memory from Crucial into another machine a couple of years ago - and after a bit of fiddling around it all worked. My question was really about whether ECC would be better. I think the Apple original memory might be ECC - which apparently should make it more resilient/reliable for critical applications, though without proper software support it wouldn't be much use. Also, there's not much point without at least a triple processor system.

Comment

• johnb
        • Mar 2007

Surely the best thing is to refer to the original memory specification for the computer and follow that. Or is there something I'm missing?

PS. This might be helpful: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-...ix/ta-p/150486

Comment

Working...
        X