X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

USB power - Zoom microphone

I have been lent a Zoom Q2 HD video/microphone recorder. It can run with batteries, but they run down quite fast. There is a power adapter available - but I don't have the "approved" one immediately to hand. It looks to me as though it should work OK with a USB adapter (e.g an iPad charger) and a Mini-B USB connector (5 pin) . Am I right? Should I risk it?
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    I have been lent a Zoom Q2 HD video/microphone recorder. It can run with batteries, but they run down quite fast. There is a power adapter available - but I don't have the "approved" one immediately to hand. It looks to me as though it should work OK with a USB adapter (e.g an iPad charger) and a Mini-B USB connector (5 pin) . Am I right? Should I risk it?
    Not a device I am familiar with. You might might to try here.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

RTFM ?

I don't think the ipad charger will work as the iPad has a lightning connector rather than a mini USB

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Thanks both. I'd already downloaded and read the manual, as well as the printed copy with the device.

I can now confirm that physically a USB Mini-B connector does go into the Zoom. I'd be 80% sure that if I plugged the other end into a USB charger that it would work - BUT there's always a danger that just because something is physically compatible it may not be electrically compatible. Most USB cables are OK, though I've heard of other devices with other connections being blown because the physical connections worked, but the voltage delivered was 12V when 6V was require. Another mistake which I nearly made was with some routers - again the physical connections were "compatible" but before I blew one up I noticed that one was 15V AC (rather unusual now) - the others 12V DC.

I've not been caught out on this yet - and I'd rather not go for it if there's significant risk.

Re the iPad charger - the ones I have (several) are I think older models, and all that's needed is to plug a USB A end in and the other end can be any appropriate connecter for the device to be charged or powered. I think it's only the very new ones which are Lightning connector based as mentioned, though I'd still be surprised if that wasn't swappable with a cable. Sometimes this doesn't work particularly if the power requirements are very low as the Apple chargers do some simple detection of the attached device. Other USB chargers also work, though sometimes they don't deliver enough current - but that shouldn't cause any problems with blowing them up. There are devices such as this nifty and cheap one which can check current drawn along a USB cable - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o02_s00

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

This is the age of incompatibility and you are wise not to trust to "looks ok"

Comment

Working...
          X