X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David-G
    • Mar 2012

Problem typing posts - letters frequently missed

I am finding it very difficult to type posts on this forum. Even if I type slowly and deliberately, letters are frequently missed. The only practical way for me to type a post is to do so in Word or in my email program, and then cut and paste the text into the forum box. That is how I have typed this paragraph. If I try to retype this paragraph directly into the forum box, it comes out as follows:

I amfinding it very difficult to type ostson thsforum. Een if I typ slowly and deliberately, letters are frequently missed. The only pratica way for me to type a post is to dos inWord or in my email program, and then cutand aste the text into the forum box.

This is a relatively recent phenomenon, it has been happening for a few months. It makes contributing to the forum difficult. Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on? Is anyone else encountering this problem?

I am on Windows 8.1 by the way.
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by David-G View Post
    I am finding it very difficult to type posts on this forum. Even if I type slowly and deliberately, letters are frequently missed. The only practical way for me to type a post is to do so in Word or in my email program, and then cut and paste the text into the forum box. That is how I have typed this paragraph. If I try to retype this paragraph directly into the forum box, it comes out as follows:

I amfinding it very difficult to type ostson thsforum. Een if I typ slowly and deliberately, letters are frequently missed. The only pratica way for me to type a post is to dos inWord or in my email program, and then cutand aste the text into the forum box.

This is a relatively recent phenomenon, it has been happening for a few months. It makes contributing to the forum difficult. Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on? Is anyone else encountering this problem?

I am on Windows 8.1 by the way.
    Not sure what's going on there, David. I have not had any problems, other then due to my poor typing skills

Was on Windows 8.1, but now on 10

OG

Edit: Are you on a laptop or a PC? If on a PC could be your keyboard batteries are running out.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Typing problems have cropped up in the past but haven't had any other comments about it recently.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• johnb
        • Mar 2007

I have no problems with typing on the forum, using Firefox on a PC and Safari on an iPad. What happens if you use a different browser?

As an aside, I've recently gone back to using a 20+ year old IBM Model M keyboard. It really is a dramatic improvement on the typical modern keyboard.
        Last edited by johnb; 03-09-15, 00:21.

Comment

• David-G
          • Mar 2012

It is a problem specific to typing on the R3 Forum. It is a serious problem for me and a significant hindrance to contributing to the forum.

I never used to have this problem - it suddenly started a few months ago.

I have no problem typing in Word, or Wordpad, or Notepad, or typing emails, or typing on other forums.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

I have no problem typing in Word, or Wordpad, or Notepad, or typing emails, or typing on other forums.
            It may be an incompatibility with vBulletin software. There has been before with IE.

Anything here?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• David-G
              • Mar 2012

Thanks ff! I don't know where/how you found that "Trainz" forum, but the advice was indeed relevant. I added "for3.org" to my IE "Compatibility View" settings (whatever they may be) and the problem has disappeared.

Thanks again!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Thanks ff! I don't know where/how you found that "Trainz" forum, but the advice was indeed relevant. I added "for3.org" to my IE "Compatibility View" settings (whatever they may be) and the problem has disappeared.

Thanks again!

OG

Comment

• Stunsworth
                  • Nov 2010

I have lots of problems with my work's laptop and IE. It doesn't happen on any of the other Vbulletin sites I visit.
                  Steve

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

I didn't realise people still bothered with IE these days?

Simple solution is to use something that works?

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Oh, you know, we have many outside interests

Actually, I just typed something like 'vBulletin problems typing post' in the Search Box and pressed Go.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        I didn't realise people still bothered with IE these days?

Simple solution is to use something that works?
                        In my case it's a problem on a work laptop, and I don't have sufficient rights to install software on it.
                        Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X