X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

EE mobile lockout - help please!!

For donkey's years I have run an ancient Nokia mobile with an old PAYG contract with Orange, recently changed to (bought out by?) EE. I've just been given a newer Samsung phone.

When I put in my old SIM I get asked to enter a Network Key Control number which I don't have. The EE website wants to charge me £8.99 out of my phone's credit to 'unlock' it. If I put the SIM back in the old phone it works fine.

Can anyone please explain what's going on? Do I have to pay this **** charge?? If so, WHY??
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!
  • Don Petter

I recently did a similar upgrade to a second hand smart phone which turned out to be locked.

I found an unlock code on ebay for 99p. Thought it worth a try at that price, though I was somewhat sceptical. It worked perfectly!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
      For donkey's years I have run an ancient Nokia mobile with an old PAYG contract with Orange, recently changed to (bought out by?) EE. I've just been given a newer Samsung phone.

When I put in my old SIM I get asked to enter a Network Key Control number which I don't have. The EE website wants to charge me £8.99 out of my phone's credit to 'unlock' it. If I put the SIM back in the old phone it works fine.

Can anyone please explain what's going on? Do I have to pay this **** charge?? If so, WHY??
      Did EE give you the 'phone? If so, go back to them. If someone gave you you the 'phone, risk 99p on eBay, as Don says!

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

I had been in an exactly similar position with Orange/EE and an old Nokia . I went into their local shop and found I could switch to a SIM only account. I was locked into the contract for only two years, now nearly up, but am certain I'm spending less. PM me if you want more data.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          I had been in an exactly similar position with Orange/EE and an old Nokia . I went into their local shop and found I could switch to a SIM only account. I was locked into the contract for only two years, now nearly up, but am certain I'm spending less. PM me if you want more data.
          I could perhaps have said that my PAYG (Tesco) remained working seamlessly on the new phone.

I'm pretty sure with my low usage this is still the scheme for me, costing perhaps not much over £10 a year..

Comment

Working...
          X