• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnb
    • Mar 2007

Laptop display resolution, W7 vs W10, etc

Just a few musings:

I am thinking of getting a new laptop to replace my 10 yr old Thinkpad R51 and to be a supplement to my 4 yr old HP desktop. The screen resolutions for the 15.6" screen in the model I am looking at are either 1366x768 or 1920x1080. My concern is whether the 1920x1080 screen will result in text that is unreadable without a lot of squinting and eye-strain. I understand that both W7 and W10 can perform scaling (W10 being better at it that W7) but the scaling isn't particularly well implemented on Windows.

Does anyone have any experience of these screens?

By the way, I am currently very tempted to get a laptop with W7 pre-installed, rather than one with W10. My reasoning is that (a) W7 is a good operating system and does everything I want and (b) I can always change to W10 at a later date, if necessary.

Which leads me on to these annoying Windows 10 nags that have been appearing on our W7/W8 computers. I can see that W8 users might well welcome the option for a free upgrade but W7 users should think long and hard before accepting the option. It looks as though Microsoft are using this ploy to "push" users into upgrading in order to boost the numbers who have moved to W10 - a rather dubious way of avoiding the embarrassingly low uptake that happened with W8.
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
    Just a few musings:

I am thinking of getting a new laptop to replace my 10 yr old Thinkpad R51 and to be a supplement to my 4 yr old HP desktop. The screen resolutions for the 15.6" screen in the model I am looking at are either 1366x768 or 1920x1080. My concern is whether the 1920x1080 screen will result in text that is unreadable without a lot of squinting and eye-strain. I understand that both W7 and W10 can perform scaling (W10 being better at it that W7) but the scaling isn't particularly well implemented on Windows.
    I can't really give a definitive answer in the Windows/PC world as I largely exited that a few years ago. I can understand your concerns about rescaling - and agree that if done badly it could be problematic. On the other hand I would suggest that devices with higher native resolution do generally work better (are easier on your eyes ...), even if you don't think your eyesight will benefit.

In the MacBook world we have a lower resolution Air version (11 inch) and a 13 inch Retina Pro version. Both are good, but the Retina display (higher than HD TV resolution) is definitely better, and does rescale down well enough if I/we need it too. Scaling up from a lower resolution window to a higher resolution display is always going to be limited by the hardware. On the other hand scaling the other way, from a higher resolution window to a lower resolution hardware display will, in general, give rise to artefacts, unless specific action is taken to avoid these, such as using carefully designed graphics and fonts, and in-built anti-aliasting filters. Depending on the use, such faults may be more or less troublesome.

Ideally the software screen resolution should match the hardware resolution to avoid any such issues.

Does your proposed machine have an HDMI output for driving an HD TV?

Unless you have strong reasons not to, or bad hands-on experience of a hi-res model, I'd suggest that the HD compatible model will give better results.

Comment

• johnb
      • Mar 2007

Dave, thanks for your reply.

I'm inclining towards your view that the higher resolution screen might be the option to go for.

[QUOTE=Dave2002;502871Does your proposed machine have an HDMI output for driving an HD TV?[/QUOTE]

The models I've been looking at don't have HDMI output but it isn't something that I would be likely to use as all my computer-to-TV viewing is via my Humax box (streaming from a server or, sometimes, YouTube).

My ideal laptop would have
      - Firewire & esata ports or an Express Card slot (so I can use an Express Card to provide the ports)
      - A Trackpoint "joystick" type control as well as the standard touch pad. (I find the trackpoint type control much easier to use and much less fiddly than a touch pad.)
      - Good build quality and reliability

So I have been thinking about getting another Thinkpad (the Lenovo Thinkpad L540) because Thinkpads still seem to have an enviable reputation for build quality and reliability.

Comment

• Frances_iom
        • Mar 2007

So I have been thinking about getting another Thinkpad (the Lenovo Thinkpad L540) because Thinkpads still seem to have an enviable reputation for build quality and reliability.
        they did (based on original IBM models) but latest offerings, including Lenovo's own Bios based spyware, are getting a much more critical reception

Comment

• johnb
          • Mar 2007

I was aware of the previous SuperFish debacle but hadn't heard about the recently discovered BIOS spyware. Once again Lenovo quickly backtracked and provided solutions after having been caught out. This is both worrying for buyers and very stupid behaviour for Lenovo.

Interestingly Lenovo claimed that none of the Thinkpad range was affected, so presumably the dubious BIOS was used in their consumer range. Having said that, who knows what might be lurking, yet undetected.

Comment

• Frances_iom
            • Mar 2007

...so presumably the dubious BIOS was used in their consumer range. Having said that, who knows what might be lurking, yet undetected.
            Some years ago I thought most conspiracy theorists to be marginally insane - however given Chinese Gov spying especially on high tech industries + academia, coupled with NSA requiring backdoors in all US built comms equipment and the greed of most (all if American based)software suppliers, ISPs and internet companies to build up dossiers on all who fall into their sight in order to push evermore advertising, I now think 1984 was mild in its version of continuous surveillance - even R4 had a brief, tho as usual now for BBC news nearly content free, account of the disquiet re current online advertising.

Lenovo must be very stupid - if they are prepared to compromise consumer models for pennies what will they do under Chinese Government request re professional use machines.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
              Some years ago I thought most conspiracy theorists to be marginally insane - however given Chinese Gov spying especially on high tech industries + academia, coupled with NSA requiring backdoors in all US built comms equipment and the greed of most (all if American based)software suppliers, ISPs and internet companies to build up dossiers on all who fall into their sight in order to push evermore advertising, I now think 1984 was mild in its version of continuous surveillance - even R4 had a brief, tho as usual now for BBC news nearly content free, account of the disquiet re current online advertising.
              Don't only "blame" the NSA and the US. It is a requirement for every European digital comms satellite built and launched that there is (at least) one alternative additional channel nominated to within one (not necessarily specified) European state. The routers in the satellites are capable of (and required to ..) duplicating packets and sending them to whichever authoritiy is authorised to receive them - as well as the intended recipient. Probably not a very different approach to that of the US in the end.

I do agree about the very obtrusive advertising, which is trashing the use of some parts of the Internet for me, I'm afraid.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                • Mar 2007

I always assumed that satellite communication channels were easily monitored and had been for decades but end-to-end encryption would protect the contents (hence Camerloon's suggestion that encryption be banned - does he have no techie advisers?) but obviously the metadata (who spake to whom) is available. However this was not what I had in mind but rather the turning of every laptop etc into an eavesdropping point (already possible with most smart phones and now even TVs eg LG's voice/camera operated TV - pure 1984)

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

There is clear evidence that users of some laptops with cameras have been hacked, so that not only their files might be compromised, but that the hackers can gain information about what the users look like, what they are doing, and the inside of their homes. I think that the microphones can also be activated remotely.

It may be that smartphones are actually of more interest to "the watchers".

Blu tack has its uses.

Comment

• johnb
                    • Mar 2007

Re: Thinkpad build quality:

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                    they did (based on original IBM models) but latest offerings, including Lenovo's own Bios based spyware, are getting a much more critical reception
                    After having spent far too much time researching laptops I'm rather frustrated and disappointed.

My basic requirements are: reliability and good build quality, integral trackpoint/joystick mouse, some expansion facility such as Expresscard or Thunderbolt (which, among other things, can then provide Firewire/esata access).

These days the standard consumer or business laptop has an assortment of USB and display ports but nothing else in the way of ports or expansion facilities. (Business laptops do often have a trackpoint/joystick).

The Thinkpad range currently has some older models designated _40 (e.g. T540, L540) which use the Gen 4 Intel processor and some of the variants do have Expresscard slots.

The newer Thinkpad models which use the Gen 5 Intel processors ( _50 model nos.) do not have any expansion slots at all.

So it's obvious - get one of the _40 models. But there is a snag - in the _40 models Lenovo replaced the hardware trackpoint buttons with "soft" buttons on the touchpad, which greatly reduced the trackpoints usability. It also led to a barrage of complaints - so much so that Lenovo reinstated the hardware buttons for its _50 models.

So, get a model with an Expresscard slot and a lousy trackpoint or a model with no Expresscard slot and a decent trackpoint.

In general, it seems that the only laptops that have Expresscard slots and/or Thunderbolt ports are the pretty costly business "Workstations". These cost more that I am prepared to pay, but even so there there are issues with the main contenders:

The Thinkpad W541 has a poorer build quality than the main Thinkpad range and reports are that it runs very hot (insufficient cooling). The HP Zbook is well regarded but is *extremely* expensive. The Dell range seems good but if you are unlucky enough to buy a faulty machine there can be problems in getting it fixed. There are reports of patchy customer support and it *seems* that they have a policy of not exchanging the faulty laptop but of replacing a succession of parts until, eventually, the laptop works ... there are reports of this taking an inordinate length of time.

So I will make do for the time being.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

johnb

Some of the machines/models you've mentioned cost more than Apple Powerbooks. Not that I'm necessarily stating that the Apple products are better made or have other better attributes, but I did rather expect that there might be interest in sub £500 machines.

What do you actually want to use the machine for?

I have even started to be tempted by some of the cheap PC laptops available in places like Sainsbury's and Tesco - though I figure that to get anything moderately good the price would go back into Apple territory. So far I've not succumbed, and every time I just think about what problems I had with Windows in the past I am reminded to keep my payment cards in my pocket or simply leave them at home.

Comment

Working...
                      X