Does Mac OS X Time Machine have any similarities to Windows System Restore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Does Mac OS X Time Machine have any similarities to Windows System Restore?

I have not always found Mac OS TM to be very reliable or useful. In the Windows world System Restore is sometimes very useful for reverting to a slightly older update version of the OS, though hopefully one doesn't need or want to run it frequently.

Is Time Machine in any way similar in this respect?
  • Anastasius
    • Mar 2015

No, Time Machine is fundamentally different and encapsulates your entire machine. Not just the system (as in System restore) as far as I recall. Not only that but you can go back in hourly increments for a short period of time and recover that document you just deleted and emptied trash. Or that document that you just Save'd rather than Save As to a new filename thus irretrievably losing your original. Unless you have Time Machine where you simply go back and recover the original.

You can also use it to recover your Mac but over Ethernet i've found it a bit cumbersome. Also Time Machine is designed to be stored on a different hard drive to the one in your laptop/PC and so is a true backup.

Chalk and cheese IMO. Much better than System Restore.

Having said that I rarely have need to use it !
    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• Anastasius
      • Mar 2015

Trying to reply to your PM but my Sent folder continues to display 0 messages. If you have an external email address we can use then could you please PM it?

ATB

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
        Trying to reply to your PM but my Sent folder continues to display 0 messages. If you have an external email address we can use then could you please PM it?

ATB
        That seems odd. Have you still got space for your messages? Sometimes if the space runs out things like that happen. Have you ticked the box to get a copy of your sent msg? Without that you won't see any. However the latest one you sent was requesting an acknowledgement reply. I didn't know that was a feature in this board.

I'll look at this again later on - just been out to dentists, so in mobile mode.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          - just been out to dentists, so in mobile mode.
          Bluetooth?
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Have you ticked the box to get a copy of your sent msg? Without that you won't see any.
            It wasn't checked. Anastasius, your preference was noted as not to keep a copy.

However the latest one you sent was requesting an acknowledgement reply. I didn't know that was a feature in this board.
            I think it's a preference setting on the profile page. Can't see a record on the admin control panel.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Bluetooth?

Comment

• Anastasius
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                It wasn't checked. Anastasius, your preference was noted as not to keep a copy.

I think it's a preference setting on the profile page. Can't see a record on the admin control panel.
                Many thanks, ff, for the info.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Another TM related question.

If TM backs up everything or most files that change - how does one ensure that it doesn't back up virus or trojan files?

Should one manually control TM - that is turn it off and only enable it occasionally, which rather defeats the point, and then run a virus checker/cleaner program before turning TM on again to allow a backup to proceed?

Alternatively, is there any way to remove malware files once TM has backed them away to hard drive? This is potentially non trivial.

There's not a great deal of point in removing malware from a system if the backup process stores it, to allow it to be possibly reactivated later.

Posibly Windows systems are worse, but this issue is common to most computer systems nowadays.

Comment

• wenotsoira

Lockjaw? Just filling in, the usual drill ...

Comment

• wenotsoira

If TM backs up everything or most files that change - how does one ensure that it doesn't back up virus or trojan files?

Should one manually control TM - that is turn it off and only enable it occasionally, which rather defeats the point, and then run a virus checker/cleaner program before turning TM on again to allow a backup to proceed?

Alternatively, is there any way to remove malware files once TM has backed them away to hard drive? This is potentially non trivial.

There's not a great deal of point in removing malware from a system if the backup process stores it, to allow it to be possibly reactivated later.

Posibly Windows systems are worse, but this issue is common to most computer systems nowadays.
                      Ahm..., Mac's aren't supposed to get viruses ...

Comment

• Anastasius
                        • Mar 2015

TM has no way of knowing. It is not an anti-virus system. Remember GIGO? Garbage In - Garbage Out.

The same thing applies to ANY backup system that I am aware of. On any computer system.

That's why you have Sophos!

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                          TM has no way of knowing. It is not an anti-virus system. Remember GIGO? Garbage In - Garbage Out.

The same thing applies to ANY backup system that I am aware of. On any computer system.

That's why you have Sophos!
                          wenotsoira

Macs do get malware. Even if the basic OS doesn't get attacked, a lot of malware these days targets browsers, and other commonly used application programs.

anastasius

As you say, the same thing happens to any backup system, so my point is that the automated nature of TM might lull people into a false sense of security. Some sort of security strategy or policy is needed as well as a backup stragey/policy to avoid the worst problems. It is not eough to install an automated system, then hope that it will always work, and that problems won't occur, or can be remedied easily.

Comment

Working...
                          X