• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forget It (U2079353)
    • Nov 2010

Turntable Tales - repeat from 2016

Coming up on Radio4Xtra in two parts:
    Colleen Murphy celebrates the development and impact of the record-playing turntable.

and

Colleen Murphy continues her celebration and history of the enduring record Turntable.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Not sure that I'm interested in listening, but I did wonder whether the OED yet had a definition of 'turntablist'. [It has, examples since 1992: A DJ who performs by manipulating the sound of records played on turntables (using techniques such as scratching, mixing, etc.), sometimes using the turntables as an instrument in the context of a group performance.]

Just wondered - I knew vaguely what it entailed. Probably all I know on Earth, And all I need to know. OED not clear on 'scratching'.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

What did the phonograph say to the DJ?

"You've literally got to be winding me up!"

Comment

• smittims
        • Aug 2022

Thanks, forgetit. I'll catch up with that. I hadn't heard either of those. The history of the Gramophone is fascinatingly complex, several gifted individuals besides Berliner (who I gather wasn't very interested in developing his invention for music) deserving credit.

There used to be a word in circulation: 'melomane' , meaning a gramophone-record-enthuiast. When I discovered it I'd been a melomane for fifty years without knowiing it!

Comment

Working...
        X