X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Managing storage for iTunes on a laptop

I have several different Mac computers. My MacBook Pro has around 250 Gbytes capacity, and is becoming choked up.
    I have discovered that about 30 Gbytes is of media data for iTunes. I have backed off most the files that I want to save.

What I want to know is, can I simply delete the media files from this laptop, or do I have to something else? I would like to delete files where one of the following apply:

1. I have the CDs of the works in question and don't really need to have a ripped or download copy on this machine.
    2. I bought the CDs from Amazon - hence can get another download copy if I need, or rip the CD again.
    3. I bought the downloads from iTunes - but have copies elsewhere.
    4. I bought the downloads from Amazon - but have copies elsewhere.

If I simply delete the media files, presumably the iTunes library will not find the media - but will that cause problems?

I don't particularly want to mess around with other methods - such as invoking the iCloud. The point is that I mainly want to clear unwanted or immediately unneeded files from this particular machine so as to improve its performance.

I may want to keep some music files on this machine, in order to play them via my DAC, but I don't need to keep all of the copies on this machine.
  • Stunsworth
    • Nov 2010

Assuming that you are certain that it's available elsewhere, the easiest way is probably to right click on the album in iTunes and select 'Delete'. You'll be given the option to delete the files from the hard drive. You'll probably see an initial dialogue box asking if you want to delete the music from iTunes, the box asking if you want to delete it from the hard drive comes after that.
    Steve

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Thanks. The tidy up/spring cleaning (though it's August) continues.

Maybe I'll even burn some of the downloads to CDs!

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Re the Delete option in iTunes, the following message appears:

Are you sure you want to delete the selected songs from your iTunes library?

These songs will also be deleted from any iPod, iPhone, or iPad that synchronizes with your iTunes library.
        One can but hope (trust) that any purchases of downloads can be reinstated if necessary.

This kind of thing perhaps only affects devices which do synchronise, but it's perfectly possible that a user may wish to delete material on one device (to save space) yet not delete it on other devices. Perhaps it's this sort of behaviour which really irritates many users about Apple and iTunes.

Comment

• Anastasius
          • Mar 2015

Deleting from other devices is not specific to the Mac or iTunes because it comes down to what you want sync'd. Many people like to sync their stuff across desktop, iPad, iphone, PC, Android whatever.

It's not clear from your OP if you want to delete individual items from iTunes (and picked up on by Stunsworth) or the whole library. If the latter then go to /Users/your account/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media and delete the iTunes Media folder. Next time iTunes fires up it will ask if you want it to open a specific library (assuming you have multiple libraries) or just assume you want to start again.

I had 300GB in my iTunes library and hived it all off to a separate hard drive. Since using Qobuz for my listening, I've never fired up that hard drive.

iTunes purchased downloads can always be re-downloaded again.
          Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
            Deleting from other devices is not specific to the Mac or iTunes because it comes down to what you want sync'd. Many people like to sync their stuff across desktop, iPad, iphone, PC, Android whatever.

It's not clear from your OP if you want to delete individual items from iTunes (and picked up on by Stunsworth) or the whole library. If the latter then go to /Users/your account/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media and delete the iTunes Media folder. Next time iTunes fires up it will ask if you want it to open a specific library (assuming you have multiple libraries) or just assume you want to start again.

I had 300GB in my iTunes library and hived it all off to a separate hard drive. Since using Qobuz for my listening, I've never fired up that hard drive.

I don't particularly care about syncing, and would often rather make my own arrangements for ensuring that devices have music I want to listen to.

Your 300 Gbyte drive is larger than the total capacity on my MBP. The reason I'm trying to delete items is to improve the functionality of the laptop. I do have other drives and other computers which can act as servers if I want to use them.

This shows a touching faith in business continuity. It is not unheard of for conditions to be changed. I agree that mostly re-downloads will be possible, but it's not absolutely guaranteed. So far however, I have found both Amazon and iTunes to be good concerning re-downloading of purchased material.

Comment

Working...
            X