• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anastasius
    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    OK - that sounds hopeful.

I have one machine with SL. I don't want to update it to Yosemite and lose the SL. How do I get Yosemite on to it as a separate partition?

Do I (somehow) duplicate my SL into a separate partition, then update from that one to pull the Yosemite over?

One of my friends/colleagues has all the OS install files from Lion upwards. Perhaps one way is to get the .dmg file for (say) Yosemite, then make sure it installs to its own partition. I really don't want to lose that SL capability at present. I'm just not sure how these things work. Is there an option in the install process to put on to a specified partition which is not the one actually active at the time?
    Use Disk Utility and in lh window select the topmost line which is the actual internal drive. Below it you should see Snow leopard. Go over to the RH side and select partition. If you just have SL then you will have just the one partition. So reduce the size of it - instructions on the Disk Utility page - and then add a partition for Yosemite (why not El Capitan?).

You are at this moment in time still running under SL, of course. Go grab yourself a copy of Yosemite or OS-du-jour and double click on it as normal. It then guides you through the process and asks where you want to install it...your new partition, obviously. At some point in time you will be asked if you want to migrate over. This has lots of options and you can, by judiciously clicking on boxes, refine how much you want to copy over from SL (NB nothing is destroyed or deleted on SL). Unfortunately, you cant just select certain Applications....it's all or none (other than Apple programs like Mail and Safari which are 'built-in' to the OS, as it were. I'm not sure if you can retrospectively copy over stuff at a later date or not....never had the need.

That's it.

Backup first !

Hope that makes sense

EDIT: Copying over a lot of Applications and/or data will take a surprising amount of time and will tie up your computer aka not being able to do anything else with it. So if you are thinking of doing that, then just before you go to bed is a good time!!
    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by mahlerei View Post
      Hi Jayne

I haven't graduated to 2.0, but the version prior to that one worked very well for me. I am on an oldish Mac (2008) and have had no issues until that infernal upgrade to Lion yesterday. Back to Snow Leopard and all is (nearly) right with the world.

Any good downloads to recommend for possibe review? Neschling's new Respighi pretty good, ditto Kantorow's Liszt concertos and the Tischenko sonatas. Ohlsson's Debussy/Prokofiev/Bartok in pipeline; all I can say is that it's well up to the standards of the house.

Edit: Jayne, I decided to trial Audirvana 2.1.1 and i'm much impressed by the improved interface. However, and this is a real surprise, I was still getting drop-outs. Then I turned off Bluetooth, Airport Express and selected Extreme option for Audirvana priority. Hey presto, no more drop-outs. Sonically this is probably the best version yet; Ohlsson's Prokofiev Op. 2 sounds superb. Fingers crossed...
      That's great. You have to treat any computer used for music playback as a hifi component really, especially as regards isolation (functional, electrical, even mechanical) and even more especially if you use said computer for other things.

It's often just one more little step... like taking Radio 3 HDs through any portal other than the BBC homepage itself generally results in fewer or no dropouts - the BBC one is just too busy, especially during Proms...

Comment

• Stunsworth
        • Nov 2010

For anyone running v2 of Audirvana, v2.2 was released today and there's also a brand new remote app in the iOS app store.

You need to be running Audirvana in stand alone mode in order to use the remote.

I was listening to some Ornette Coleman this morning and v2.2 was sounding very sweet indeed
        Steve

Comment

• mahlerei
          • Jun 2015

Steve

I take it that will be a free upgrade?

Edit: just updated.
          Last edited by mahlerei; 29-07-15, 20:04.

Comment

• Stunsworth
            • Nov 2010

The update from v2.x to v2.2 is free. The remote app is £7.99. To be honest I was happy to pay that given that Audirvana is more or less a one man band.

The next added feature will be Qobuz integration. I'm looking forward to that one.
            Steve

Comment

• mahlerei
              • Jun 2015

Steve

Yes, The Qobuz integration should be interesting.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                • Nov 2011

Any good downloads to recommend for possibe review? Neschling's new Respighi pretty good, ditto Kantorow's Liszt concertos and the Tischenko sonatas. Ohlsson's Debussy/Prokofiev/Bartok in pipeline; all I can say is that it's well up to the standards of the house.
                Not a recommendation, but rather a query. Have you got your hands on the first release (Symphony 10 and the Lady Macbeth passacaglia) in the Shostakovich series planned by DG for Andris Nelsons and the Boston Symphony? This is one I'm very, very interested in.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                  Not a recommendation, but rather a query. Have you got your hands on the first release (Symphony 10 and the Lady Macbeth passacaglia) in the Shostakovich series planned by DG for Andris Nelsons and the Boston Symphony? This is one I'm very, very interested in.
                  It hasn't been released yet.
                  I do have a Blu Ray of Nelsons leading the Concertgebouw in the 8th

Comment

• mahlerei
                    • Jun 2015

Jimbo, Richard

Not had word of release date for Nelsons' DSCH10, but I too await that with interest. His Shostakovich is a tad variable, I think; his Brum 7th is very disappointing but hia Concertgebouw 8th is exceptional. FWIW this was my take on the latter:

edit: Amazon give release date of 31 August, though Qobuz will probably have the download before then. BTW, do you think we need a dedicated Downloads thread on this board?
                    Last edited by mahlerei; 30-07-15, 11:07.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

Jimbo, Richard

Not had word of release date for Nelsons' DSCH10, but I too await that with interest. His Shostakovich is a tad variable, I think; his Brum 7th is very disappointing but hia Concertgebouw 8th is exceptional. FWIW this was my take on the latter:

edit: Amazon give release date of 31 August, though Qobuz will probably have the download before then. BTW, do you think we need a dedicated Downloads thread on this board?
                      Nice review.
                      I listen to that in DTS, which eliminates some of the deficiencies that you allude to In PCM.
                      I saw Nelsons conduct in Boston last fall. He has Avery commanding presence

Comment

Working...
                      X