X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Taking technology for granted - Eire

It now seems quite straightfoward to assume that mobile technology is going to work around substantial parts of the UK, though some far flung outposts, such as John o' Groats may not have any coverage.

A recent trip to Eire however shows that there are still parts of the Brtish Isles which are severely challenged. Either there is no 3G/4G or data service available, or if there is any coverage ***'s Law will dictate it probably won't be available on the network of "your" mobile provider. WiFi services are also a bit patchy, withh some hotels having an acceptable service and others providing a minimal and slow service.

It's also a pain having to remember to download journey routes whenever connectivity is available to map software on devices such as iPads, as otherwise GPS is useless. However it does work acceptably well if the route is preloaded, and the device isn't powered off. Conventional paper maps are still a very helpful check and backup way of finding how to get around.

The several years discrepancy between rates of adoption of new tchnology and infrastucture in different parts of the world is something that should still be remembered before travelling.
    Last edited by Dave2002; 05-07-15, 17:18.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Until fairly recently there was no T-Mobile (now absorbed into some Yorkshire drug cartel) signal in the middle of Trafalgar Square

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      I.....

The several years discrepancy between rates of adoption of new tchnology and infrastucture in different parts of the world is something that should still be remembered before travelling.
      Try North Wales

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
        Try North Wales
        Surely the standard reply in North Wales is -"I'm afraid there's no demand, you're the third person to ask today!'

Great Langdale in the Lake District is a wonderful place to escape all aspects of the internet.

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

The only way to get a mobile signal in Aldeburgh used to be by standing on the wall of the Primary School.

(probably not true anymore )

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

i had thought it was possible to correct the typo in the thread title, as I started it. Obviously not now, or my memory of how to do it has evaporated.

In parts of Shropshire I would frequently encounter people in narrow lanes almost in the hedges. It took some of the locals a little while to realise that these were the rather sparse "hotspots" for a mobile signal. Around London the train from Wimbledon towards Farringdon is, or was, a "black line" for data. However many other areas have improved over the last few years - I think!

Comment

• Stunsworth
              • Nov 2010

It's also a pain having to remember to download journey routes whenever connectivity is available to map software on devices such as iPads, as otherwise GPS is useless
              That's why I use TomTom on my iPhone rather than rely on having to remember to download a map - another plus is that is doesn't use any of my data allowance, handy when I'm outside of the UK.
              Steve

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

It's also a pain having to remember to download journey routes whenever connectivity is available to map software on devices such as iPads, as otherwise GPS is useless. However it does work acceptably well if the route is preloaded, and the device isn't powered off. Conventional paper maps are still a very helpful check and backup way of finding how to get around.
                I still use conventional paper maps for navigation in my car and whilst walking. I do not have SatNav in my car, but I do have handheld GPS as a back up when out walking. I find this an entirely satisfactory means of navigation!

OG

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                  I still use conventional paper maps for navigation in my car and whilst walking. I do not have SatNav in my car, but I do have handheld GPS as a back up when out walking. I find this an entirely satisfactory means of navigation!

OG
                  I do agree with you, to some extent, but often technology is forced upon us. In our local station for example, if the ticket machines in the car park aren't working we are expected to make a phone call to pay, and get charged an extra 25p for the privilege. Most people don't bother, but one doesn't always have time to write a note to put in the windscreen.

Returning to the Irish theme, there is another gotcha if one travels on the M50 round Dublin, with auto toll charging and fining. The designers of the system claim it is easy to use, but it seems fairly obvious that they expect "everyone" to have smartphones. Regular users might not have a problem, as it's possible to set up an account but casual users and short term visitors to Ireland might not find this so easy.

Comment

• Anastasius
                    • Mar 2015

I still rely on a very capable SatNav 1. Located in the passenger seat, SatNav 1 has never got me lost yet.
                    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• Gordon
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                      I still rely on a very capable SatNav 1. Located in the passenger seat, SatNav 1 has never got me lost yet.
                      Maybe yours is the type that can apply sanctions for taking wrong turns?

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                        Sounds like you never go out without a SatNav, or else you do sometimes get lost without "it"! I'm still waiting to meet the "satnav lady " who lives under the bonnet. I'm sure "she" would complain about the number of times I ignore her, while I could complain that "she" never seems to learn about the routes which we know are much more effective than the ones coming from the car system.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                          That's why I use TomTom on my iPhone rather than rely on having to remember to download a map - another plus is that is doesn't use any of my data allowance, handy when I'm outside of the UK.
                          I never download maps and I don't have a satnav. I simply go to a nearby shop and buy a map or a road atlas.

Despite the fact that I find it extremely difficult to memorise music, I have no problem in memorising routes.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            I never download maps and I don't have a satnav. I simply go to a nearby shop and buy a map or a road atlas.
                            Some places don't have many shops. One has to anticipate the need for maps. It has been known for other people's "Satnav 1" to throw maps out of the car window.

Comment

Working...
                            X