X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russ
    • Sep 2024

BBC website and Adobe Flash

I got a single brief message when using the BBC website today. The message was initiated by my browser (Chrome 43), not the BBC. As far as I can remember, the message said: 'This site uses a version of Adobe Flash that is no longer supported'.

I found this ambiguous. It wasn't clear whether the BBC website didn't support Adobe Flash anymore or that Adobe Flash could not support the content of the BBC website.

On further googling (https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6213033), it would appear that from Chrome v45 onward (expected at the end of this year), Chrome will no longer support the use of the old 'NPAPI' Adobe Flash plugin.

It is not clear whether the BBC website is dependent on the use of the NPAPI plug-in, and I'm a bit loathe to ask the BBC yet, because they never test anything and probably wouldn't be aware of the issue (if indeed there is one) anyway.

Can anyone shed any light on this matter?

Russ
  • johnb
    • Mar 2007

Russ,

You can download a version of Adobe Flash that uses the newer PPAPI from the Adobe website. The website should automatically select the right version for the Chrome browser (as long as you are using that browser) but, if it doesn't, this link enables you to select the correct version: https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

[Edit] By the way, it is always wise to keep Adobe Flash up to date because of its vulnerability.

Oh, and remember to de-select the McAfee "offer" if you download from the Adobe website.

Comment

• Russ

Thanks John. My Adobe Flash is up to date (v18), so includes PPAPI. The issue remains as to whether the BBC site is still dependent on the use of the old NPAPI functionality. I'm inclined to think not at the moment, and that the message I got a couple of days ago was a glitch.

Russ

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

I'm now getting this same message as Russ....I was loath to click the link in the iplayer screen because I have been hacked recently when clicking on a similar utube link....On googling Adobe Flasplayer I see there is a lot of controversy at the moment :http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33520935

....what does a poor boy do....stop using mozilla firefox??....use google chrome ??
        Last edited by eighthobstruction; 15-07-15, 18:29.
        bong ching

Comment

• johnb
          • Mar 2007

If you are getting a message that your Adobe Flash needs to be updated, as the website you linked to shows, you just need to updated it as an updated version has now been released.

Flash is one of the most vulnerable programs on a PC so, IMO, it is good that Firefox now forces people to update to the latest version.

What is annoying is that Adobe releases an updated version without notifying the users.

If you are hesitant about clicking the link your can type the URL directly into your browser:

The click on "Flash Player" (on the right hand side)
          (Remember to UNTICK the annoying Optional McAfee offer.)

Comment

• Frances_iom
            • Mar 2007

there is much discussion re Flash (eg Facebook security officer wants to see it gone with 18months) - after all Adobe’s promised fixes will be the 37th and 38th for the month of July so far, with an update last week fixing 36 flaws - why anyone would even consider allowing this bit of software near their windoze (or any other) machine beats me

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by johnb View Post
              If you are getting a message that your Adobe Flash needs to be updated, as the website you linked to shows, you just need to updated it as an updated version has now been released.

Flash is one of the most vulnerable programs on a PC so, IMO, it is good that Firefox now forces people to update to the latest version.
              Yes several sites suddenly started demanding an update, so I went with Firefox. Seems OK.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                there is much discussion re Flash (eg Facebook security officer wants to see it gone with 18months) - after all Adobe’s promised fixes will be the 37th and 38th for the month of July so far, with an update last week fixing 36 flaws - why anyone would even consider allowing this bit of software near their windoze (or any other) machine beats me
                Although I agree with your sentiments, and I generally block Flash, sometimes there is material which will only work with Flash. The only decision then is either to not access that material, or to turn Flash on. Depends on how much one really wants to access some information I suppose.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post

What is annoying is that Adobe releases an updated version without notifying the users.

If you are hesitant about clicking the link your can type the URL directly into your browser:

The click on "Flash Player" (on the right hand side)
                  (Remember to UNTICK the annoying Optional McAfee offer.)
                  Thanks johnb
                  bong ching

Comment

Working...
                  X