• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
    And still beat the pants of, sonically, anything digital !!
    Oh yeah, sure... if you don't mind Bruckner, Mahler, Nielsen etc. etc. etc. without climax or pianissimo...

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      Oh yeah, sure... if you don't mind Bruckner, Mahler, Nielsen etc. etc. etc. without climax or pianissimo...
      And are fond of birdies (not the ornithological kind). Damn it, I'd rather hear Radio 3 via 192kbps mp2 DAB than FM, and I get very good FM reception here, with negligible birdie accompaniment.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        I wasn't really commenting on the merits, or otherwise, of FM - simply that the equipment still works, and seems to be OK. Other older equipment I have which still works include a 17 year old laptop computer (which hardly ever gets used, but the circuits still work), and even some old tape decks. That was relevant to the point that "progress" in technology and IT has led firms to encourage obsolescence barely before products have had a chance to become established. The Logitech Squeezebox range seems to have been hit that way.

I really think that having (in some cases quite expensive) kit becoming effectively useless in under 5 years "merely" to suit businesses is not a good thing. CDs have been around for around 30 years now, and DVDs for more than 10, and even if some equipment to play them may have worn out, it is still possible to get new kit which will do so.

FM at its best can be quite good - though as you note is fundamentally limited. DAB can also be "quite good" but has other limitations. In recent years I have not managed to get either of these reception modes to work well enough. Streaming R3 at 320 kbps should surely be better than either, providing there are no network glitches. OTOH, mobile use does mean that one has to resort to FM (even AM ) or DAB from time to time.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

The 320 kbps stream via wireless is great here usually, but for a big live concert I often feed out a 10m Ethernet Cat 6 from router to computer, USB asynch to the Dac as usual. Not much can go wrong then!

Incidentally if you're serious about getting the best sound on music files or streaming out of a computer, try this little mac osx optimiser and see what happens. Nothing to lose!
          (Especially if you don't have "hog mode" on Audirvana+ or other player...)

Comment

• Anastasius
            • Mar 2015

Useful link, thanks, JLW.

One question - how do you come to terms with the occasional drop-out in the internet stream? They drive me mad the odd times I listen online.
            Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
              Useful link, thanks, JLW.

One question - how do you come to terms with the occasional drop-out in the internet stream? They drive me mad the odd times I listen online.
              On BT Infinity with the HH5 I almost never hear them now (literally never on ethernet connection.). Really rare birds, can only recall 2 single, split-second occurrences via wireless this year, during evening relays...
              (keep FM tuned to 91.5 just in case....)

When I first began replaying files of purchased hi-res/lossess albums, I heard a crackle occasionally - OH great, just like good old LP, I thought. Switching off the mac's wireless function during replay (via usb/optical to dac) cured that for good. (Must have been auto-updates or local interference).

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                This changed my life: https://www.apple.com/uk/airport-express/ But you do need to have iTunes on one of their bits of kit in the first place...
                I have managed to get Airport Express to play everything in iTunes from my computer and from Radio 3 live but how did you manage to get to play on demand items thru AE to your stereo and speakers Caliban ?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  I have managed to get Airport Express to play everything in iTunes from my computer and from Radio 3 live but how did you manage to get to play on demand items thru AE to your stereo and speakers Caliban ?
                  The items have to be downloaded first into iTunes...
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                  X