X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anastasius
    • Mar 2015

Any Demon email users out there?

If so then you will know that we have been 'sold' (again) from Vodafone to NamesCo.

What you won't have been told is that they are now going to start charging you for hosting your Demon website separately in addition to charging you for your email address. The website hosting was always included in the original contract and effectively 'free'. You can't even move the website to a different hosting company. So if you do use your website attached to your Demon email address and wish to continue doing so then you'll need to shell out £60 a year for the privilege. B******s.

I have saved the worst news until last. Hidden in the Demon Internet website is the little known fact that within two years, NamesCo are going to force you to close your Demon email address. I've had mine since Demon started in 1992. I wouldn't even know where to start updating. Or how many hours it will take.

So, I'm walking with my feet ASAP. It's going to happen and so I'd rather it happen under my own steam then pay another groat to the shysters at NamesCo.
    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

That's capitalism for you
    why do folk 'whinge' about these things?

Have fun navigating the small print

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      That's capitalism for you
      why do folk 'whinge' about these things?

Have fun navigating the small print
      Couldn't have put it better meself.

Comment

• Anastasius
        • Mar 2015

Comment

• John Wright
          • Mar 2007

Anastasius, thanks for this. I've been with Demon since 1996. I have not had any communication from them about all this.

I have a Demon website and their email addresses are my main ones, but I use BT Broadband

So, I will lose my Demon e-mail address(es) in two years time. I do have two other domains, I'll have to figure out how to use their e-mail services, hopefully not difficult, and probably not an extra cost. Oh of course, I have rarely used addresses with yahoo and also btinternet and that one's set up on Outlook, I suppose that will be the easiest thing to do, but that BT e-mail address has just one address I think. Mrs W uses her yahoo account nowadays instead of Demon.

But my main e-mail address is all over the internet, a lot of people have links on their websites

Will my Demon website remain active after 2017? Suppose I should visit the Demon website and find out, rarely do I visit them.
          - - -

John W

Comment

• John Wright
            • Mar 2007

Anatasius, there's a Google group that discusses Demon service, all a bit confused at present

I'll keep in touch with those guys I think, while I figure out a plan to close the demon website (I do have another website so the plan might be to just move everything there).

The e-mail issue is a nuisance as I currently have personal address, business address and all the music-hobby stuff going via demon e-mail.
            - - -

John W

Comment

• John Wright
              • Mar 2007

Still no notification has come to me from Demon or Namesco, and my monthly invoices are still coming from Demon/Vodafone .......
              - - -

John W

Comment

• Anastasius
                • Mar 2015

Thanks for the link, John. The whole migration is a bit of a dogs dinner. Namesco could not organise the proverbial in a brewery. I decided that I did not wish to be fleeced to pay an additional monthly sum for my Demon website and so cancelled it. Several weeks ago, Only today, I got a call from them chasing why I wasn't paying for it. I have set up my own domain now...basically just removed the fullstop between my account and demon. So @xxxxx.demon.co.uk has now become @xxxxxdemon.co.uk. I am paying the same monthly amount as I am for my Demon email.

I have gradually been changing over all my Demon email references throughout the internet/e-commerce/finance etc to my new email address. It has not all been plain sailing. Trying to remember the passwords used to set-up something several years ago - and now being asked for it before they will let me change my details can get annoying. Some companies use your email address as a primary means of ID which in some respects is good because at least they take identity theft seriously. But changing it can get very traumatic. PayPal and Flickr have been the worst so far.

But I'm nearly there. One final push and I can cancel my Demon account.

Comment

• John Wright
                  • Mar 2007

I already have two domains, one for music stuff, the other for my business but have never used their email facilities, preferring to stick with the demon addresses for nearly 20 years. So I should now start the painful journey that you have embarked on, so glad I have all accounts/passwords detailed in a little book )

The hundreds of files in my demon website will go into my music domain. I'll have re-direct a lot of those old webpages.....
                  - - -

John W

Comment

• Anastasius
                    • Mar 2015

I wish you luck, John!

Comment

• John Wright
                      • Mar 2007

Anastasius, I've had some good news.

I went on site a Demon on-line chat with one of their helpers. This was because I had had no notification from Demon or Namesco. She told me that as I have a Standard Dial Up service with them it is still with Demon and not migrated away. I don't have their broadband, and it's a home account not a business one. This is why I was still getting monthly invoices/remittances from Vodaphone/Demon

So I keep my domain and my e-mail addresses

John
                      - - -

John W

Comment

• Anastasius
                        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by John Wright View Post
                        Anastasius, I've had some good news.

I went on site a Demon on-line chat with one of their helpers. This was because I had had no notification from Demon or Namesco. She told me that as I have a Standard Dial Up service with them it is still with Demon and not migrated away. I don't have their broadband, and it's a home account not a business one. This is why I was still getting monthly invoices/remittances from Vodaphone/Demon

So I keep my domain and my e-mail addresses

John
                        Please don't shoot the messenger but I too only have a Standard Dial Up service and I most definitely am with Namesco. I really don't think that they know what they have got themselves into.

And from this Demon forum post

We cannot offer any other mail option for your domain other than what is currently provided I'm afraid, as that is a bespoke subdomain provided by demon (which has a limited lifespan as demon will be preventing the use of subdomains in the next year or so ).

I would not bank on you keeping your Demon email address. I'm just about ready to switch mine off

Comment

• John Wright
                          • Mar 2007

Thanks, it's all a bit confusing.

I've started a thread on the Google forum

and same message posted on new thread at the Vodaphone forum
                          Last edited by John Wright; 23-06-15, 22:24.
                          - - -

John W

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                            I too only have a Standard Dial Up service
                            That's hardly "standard" these days
                            Why?
                            Are you one of the geographically challenged ones that can only get this?

(wait half an hour while the text loads )

Comment

• Anastasius
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              That's hardly "standard" these days
                              Why?
                              Are you one of the geographically challenged ones that can only get this?

(wait half an hour while the text loads )
                              And another pointless post from you.

For your information, this is the name of the dial-up service that we subscribe to. Capisce?

And, believe it or not, there are large swathes of the UK without a decent broadband service. But then, what do you care?

Comment

Working...
                              X