X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David-G
    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by johnb View Post
    When this happens it is worth copying the original CD to a CD-R on your computer and then using the CD-R in the Oppo. This often works when a particular player has difficulty with a CD that plays on other equipment.
    Interesting! I am wondering why this should be?

Comment

• johnb
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by David-G View Post
      Interesting! I am wondering why this should be?
      I might be wrong but I guess that the data extraction on computer CD/DVDs is better. Well, data extraction on a computer CD/DVD drive has got to be accurate in order to load software from a CD/DVD, whereas CD players can fall back on error correction. Some CD/DVD players actually use computer CD/DVD rom drives, presumably for their greater accuracy.

Comment

• David-G
        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by johnb View Post
        I might be wrong but I guess that the data extraction on computer CD/DVDs is better. Well, data extraction on a computer CD/DVD drive has got to be accurate in order to load software from a CD/DVD, whereas CD players can fall back on error correction. Some CD/DVD players actually use computer CD/DVD rom drives, presumably for their greater accuracy.
        That is a profound but rather disquieting observation! It had never occurred to me that audio CD players might not read the discs accurately.

My CD player is currently broken, so to play a CD I currently have to use the CD drive in the laptop, and then transmit the signal to my hi-fi system via my high-quality Arcam DAC. This is a little cumbersome, but from what you say, it seems that it might actually be superior to using the CD player.

Comment

• johnb
          • Mar 2007

Perhaps I should have said that I guess that computer CD/DVD drives are more tolerant of marginal CDs.

Comment

• Anastasius
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by David-G View Post
            That is a profound but rather disquieting observation! It had never occurred to me that audio CD players might not read the discs accurately.

My CD player is currently broken, so to play a CD I currently have to use the CD drive in the laptop, and then transmit the signal to my hi-fi system via my high-quality Arcam DAC. This is a little cumbersome, but from what you say, it seems that it might actually be superior to using the CD player.
            No worries. We are confusing CD-ROM format with CD's.

From Wiki

Unlike an audio CD, a CD-ROM cannot rely on error concealment by interpolation; a higher reliability of the retrieved data is required. To achieve improved error correction and detection, Mode 1, used mostly for digital data, adds a 32-bit cyclic redundancy check (CRC) code for error detection, and a third layer of Reed–Solomon error correction[5] using a Reed-Solomon Product-like Code (RSPC). Mode 1 therefore contains 288 bytes per sector for error detection and correction, leaving 2,048 bytes per sector available for data. Mode 2, which is more appropriate for image or video data (where perfect reliability may be a little bit less important), contains no additional error detection or correction bytes, having therefore 2,336 available data bytes per sector. Note that both modes, like audio CDs, still benefit from the lower layers of error correction at the frame level.[6]
            Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

Working...
            X