• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Double trouble

I have Firefox browser 37.0.2 (just upgraded) with Mavericks. I'm not sure if this happened with the new FF upgrade, but my bookmarks sidebar has all the items duplicated in two separate lists. They're somehow connected because if I delete a bookmark from one list it disappears from the other as well.

I suppose it's not really a practical nuisance: it just annoys me

Any suggestions?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    I suppose it's not really a practical nuisance: it just annoys me

Any suggestions?
    Camomile tea.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      Camomile tea.
      Nope. I've just tried that but the duplicate list is still there
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Nope. I've just tried that but the duplicate list is still there
        That was my ace card.

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

geez, from the title of this thread I thought that I was going to be reading about Stevie Ray Vaughn

Comment

• Anastasius
            • Mar 2015

If I understand you correctly, you have two bookmark sidebars containing identical bookmarks? Can you just close one of them? At least it will get it out of the way. I just upgraded Firefox to the same version as you and I just get the one sidebar.
            Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
              If I understand you correctly, you have two bookmark sidebars containing identical bookmarks? Can you just close one of them? At least it will get it out of the way. I just upgraded Firefox to the same version as you and I just get the one sidebar.
              No, one sidebar, two lists, the second following straight on from the first. Deleting anything on one list also removes it automatically from the other

At the top are the Most Visited &c. Fine. Then Get Bookmark Add-ons, followed by my bookmarks. At the bottom Get Bookmark Add-ons appears again, followed by the same bookmarks, all updating as I update my top list. It's like being stalked …

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

I'm not alone, but this dates back to 2011 - no solution? It may be the sync as it appears to have stopped working with the Macbook

Comment

• johnb
                  • Mar 2007

[Edit: deleted previous reply and replaced with:]

This is the best I could find that relates to your problem: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/996121

The answer at the bottom of the webpage might be helpful.
                  Last edited by johnb; 26-04-15, 11:23.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                    [Edit: deleted previous reply and replaced with:]

This is the best I could find that relates to your problem: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/996121

The answer at the bottom of the webpage might be helpful.
                    Looks like the same problem, thanks. All that delving into places I don't know how to find seems to mean I'm stuck with the problem and I'll have to find a psychological solution (i.e. ignore it)

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

A final word on this:

Fiddling around putting bookmark folders up on the horizontal bookmark bar, like other people, and close my bookmarks sidebar, I accidentally deleted a whole folder (I didn't realise that placing it on the bookmarks bar, then deciding to delete it, just zapped the whole thing. I thought the original folder would still be in the sidebar).

Anyhow, delving into 'How to get back a Firefox deleted bookmarks folder' I found a relatively painless way to do it via FF's own back-up system (not Time Machine). The slight inconvenience of finding I had to do all my recent reorganising again was counterbalanced by finding I now only have one set of bookmarks in the sidebar. Not that that will matter if I stop using the sidebar anyway, but still … It is knowledge, and knowledge is power.

I'm sure this is all very clear to people who don't use their sidebars, don't use Firefox, don't suffer from double vision and weren't there at the time.

Comment

Working...
                      X