X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Which Mac backup software 2015?

What software do others think is the best for Mac OS X backups in 2015?

Some earlier contenders seem to have dropped out, but there are still versions of Carbon Copy Cloner and Super Duper. Chronosync is still there - at a price.

A cheap fall back is Apple's TIme Machine (included with the OS for those who want to use it) - but I have had some problems with that, so maybe the others, which seem less helpful, actually do give a better level of protection.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Carbon Copy Cloner for me
    I don't trust Time Machine (but do use it as well)
    CCC is simple and reliable and does what it says on the tin

Comment

• Lordgeous
      • Dec 2012

Have always used Super Duper but both that and CCC recommended.

Comment

• Anastasius
        • Mar 2015

SuperDuper. Excellent support as well.
        Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
          SuperDuper. Excellent support as well.
          How does the licensing and trial period compare with Carbon Copy Cloner?

CCC allows it to be used on multiple machines within a home/family. It also has a fully working trial. The interface seems OK (I have downloaded it), though there are some curiosities to be emplored by changing the parameters, I did think these tools would copy the files verbatim, but it seems they don't always do that. Also, it is clear that CCC has different versions for different Mac OS X versions. The latest version does Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite I think, while the previous version does Snow Leapard and Lion. The license for the latest version also allows it to be used to download and use the earlier version for machines still running Snow Leopard or Lion - I have at least one of those.

I'm going to allocate some time to do a full back up, but do the various tools all offer incremental backups as well?

It looks as though Super Duper has one version for all Mac OS versions from Snow Leopard onwards.

I am not sure if any of these tools are now free, so there is more incentive to get one which does the best job for the money. Chronosync might still be a contender.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            I'm going to allocate some time to do a full back up, but do the various tools all offer incremental backups as well?
            CCC does this fine for me

I have three machines running Snow Leopard, Lion and Yosemite
            I'm more diligent with the Yosemite machine as its the one I use for most things and carry about all the time

For me the price wasn't really an issue, I need something that works and if my computer dies half way through a big project I need to carry on working ASAP (hence keeping 3 machines)

Comment

• Anastasius
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              How does the licensing and trial period compare with Carbon Copy Cloner?

I have no idea but I'm sure their website will tell all.

Yes, SuperDuper does incremental backups scheduling etc. One thing to be wary of with possibly all these backup programs is that if you are using Sophos Anti-virus and it detects a virus (99.999999999999999999999999999999999% a Windows one sent to you in a dodgy email) then it will block the backup. Not really a problem unless you want to manually clean any up as opposed to letting Sophos automatically clean them up for you (in which case they will have gone and so the backup will progress as per normal)

Comment

• Anastasius
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                CCC does this fine for me

I have three machines running Snow Leopard, Lion and Yosemite
                I'm more diligent with the Yosemite machine as its the one I use for most things and carry about all the time

For me the price wasn't really an issue, I need something that works and if my computer dies half way through a big project I need to carry on working ASAP (hence keeping 3 machines)
                What have you done vis a vis programs that have different versions depending on the OS version? Pages, perhaps or Numbers? iPhoto (which doesn't exist in Yosemite). Or do you not use these?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

What have you done vis a vis programs that have different versions depending on the OS version? Pages, perhaps or Numbers? iPhoto (which doesn't exist in Yosemite). Or do you not use these?
                  I don't really use much mac software apart from Mail Safari and Calendar and occasionally iPhoto (which is running fine on this Yosemite machine )
                  Apart from the tedious business of administrating myself I use computers for Audio editing, composition and performance so share things as necessary.
                  Apart from being able to read email on any device I don't really see the need to have three computers doing the same thing.
                  I back different ones up in different ways to separate hard drives as necessary.

Comment

• Anastasius
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    ..... occasionally iPhoto (which is running fine on this Yosemite machine )
                    That is very intriguing because when I tried the beta version iPhoto was a no-no

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

That is very intriguing because when I tried the beta version iPhoto was a no-no
                      The version I have the works on Yosemite is 9.6 (910.29) if that's any use?

Comment

• Anastasius
                        • Mar 2015

Thanks for that. I think I'll probably stick with Mavericks for now. Did you move iPhoto over to Yosemite or did it get migrated over with other applications?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Thanks for that. I think I'll probably stick with Mavericks for now. Did you move iPhoto over to Yosemite or did it get migrated over with other applications?
                          It was on the machine (refurbished) when I got it
                          I did move my Snow Leopard laptop to Mavericks last year which was the worst thing I ever did with it so went back (manually) and it's working fine.
                          Mavericks was a bit of a disaster IMV, so many things didn't work that it was useless.

Comment

• Lordgeous
                            • Dec 2012

You can try the free version of Super Duper which does everything except incremental backup.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
                              You can try the free version of Super Duper which does everything except incremental backup.
                              Thanks for that idea.

Is that a full version - apart from the incremental backup? If that's the only missing feature I'd certainly try it - just that I read that some of the trial versions were "nobbled" in some way, so I wouldn't want to waste a lot of time on a system, even a free one, if was going to ultimately not deliver, or have most of the major features needed.

Presumably the paid for version of SD does have incremental backup?

Comment

Working...
                              X