• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Windows laptop display

Hi all

bit of a numpty question, but the bar at the bottom which shows start menu, and various icons for things like media player, has gone off permanent display, and only appears when I hit the Windows button.

The open windows bar at the top is doing something similar.

In other words, if I am on a webpage, the screen just shows the webpage and nothing else.
    Can anybody suggest what I can do to get those bars back on permanent display please.

Thanks.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Ah, I seem to have done something that has cured it.
    I think. for now at least.
    No idea what.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

I don't know the state of affairs for the very recent versions of Windows, but in the past there were settings which would cause the bars to disappear - perhaps after a few seconds - until "something" happened - such as moving the mouse/cursor into the area occupied by the bar(s), or perhaps, since you mentioned it, pressing a key or key combination.

There's probably a setting - such as mentioned on this page - but your bar and version may be different - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...#1TC=windows-7 Try searching for "hide show bar ...." or similar for your version of Windows. There may also be specific Windows or browser short cuts - could be useful to look for a short cut listing for your system.
      Last edited by Dave2002; 06-03-15, 15:45.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        Hi all

bit of a numpty question, but the bar at the bottom which shows start menu, and various icons for things like media player, has gone off permanent display, and only appears when I hit the Windows button.

In other words, if I am on a webpage, the screen just shows the webpage and nothing else.
        Can anybody suggest what I can do to get those bars back on permanent display please.

Thanks.
        Stop being tight and change over to a MacBook.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          Stop being tight and change over to a MacBook.
          Thanks Beefy, just went out and got one, that has sorted it.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            I don't know the state of affairs for the very recent versions of Windows, but in the past there were settings which would cause the bars to disappear - perhaps after a few seconds - until "something" happened - such as moving the mouse/cursor into the area occupied by the bar(s), or perhaps, since you mentioned it, pressing a key or key combination.

There's probably a setting - such as mentioned on this page - but your bar and version may be different - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...#1TC=windows-7 Try searching for "hide show bar ...." or similar for your version of Windows. There may also be specific Windows or browser short cuts - could be useful to look for a short cut listing for your system.
            THanks Dave, I think you are on the money here. It has corrected itself, or I accidentally solved it, but if it happens again I'm sure the link will be helpful.

part of the problem is not knowing what things are called !!

Comment

• Don Petter

THanks Dave, I think you are on the money here. It has corrected itself, or I accidentally solved it, but if it happens again I'm sure the link will be helpful.

part of the problem is not knowing what things are called !!
              Once you've got it back to normal (for you!), I suggest you right click anywhere on the taskbar and make sure 'Lock the Taskbar' is ticked. This might stop it disappearing again.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                Once you've got it back to normal (for you!), I suggest you right click anywhere on the taskbar and make sure 'Lock the Taskbar' is ticked. This might stop it disappearing again.
                thanks Don.
                I think this is what I did, but it didn't seem to work straight away.

But it is, as you sensibly put it, Normal for Me, for now, and the advice is gratefully received and filed away.

Comment

• Beresford
                  • Apr 2012

Hi all

Thanks.
                  Could it be that you accidentally presses the F11 key, which puts the display into Fullscreen, and back to normal if you press it again?

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beresford View Post
                    Could it be that you accidentally presses the F11 key, which puts the display into Fullscreen, and back to normal if you press it again?
                    now you mention it, quite probably !! seems to work as you say .

actually, that might be useful to know if I actually want it to happen !

THanks .

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

At least it seems fixable, and not too difficult. I have seen screens inverted and left-right mirrored before now, and the keyboard also re-assigned I think. Just getting the keystrokes to get things back to normal in that situation presents horrendous problems, but can be done - as the visual feedback etc. is all up the spout. I've seen that twice - and don't want to see it again! Perhaps some of the previous users thought that was amusing!

Comment

Working...
                      X