X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Anyone tried Chromecast?

If nothing else, those Chromecast gadgets are cheap!

• richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

I have Apple TV, so I think this would be redundant

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      If nothing else, those Chromecast gadgets are cheap!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromecast
      Works fine for us to get BT Sport HD onto TV direct from hub.

Can't see us wanting to cast PC screens, pictures or music collections onto the TV, but it's all very clever as a party trick. Set-up and control is easy from an android, not from PC unless you are Win7 or later.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
        Works fine for us to get BT Sport HD onto TV direct from hub.

Can't see us wanting to cast PC screens, pictures or music collections onto the TV, but it's all very clever as a party trick. Set-up and control is easy from an android, not from PC unless you are Win7 or later.
        I didn't know it could do that. We have one TV with an HDMI connection to a BT YouView (Humax) box, connected with a HomeHub, and after a year of use we figured out that using it for catchup TV and BT TV does not affect our monthly download allowance - though the BT usage monitor still hasn't been updated sensibly AFAIK.

It might just be useful for another TV if we could access BT TV via the Chromecast gadget, preferably without affecting our allowances.

It looks as though these web pages are relevant - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...e-bt-sport-app - I didn't know about the BT Sport App - we don't watch enough sport most of the time to have been of interest, though we liked the Australian Open Tennis. We have one Android smartphone, so presumably it'll work with that, though not with a more recent Nokia phone running Microsoft's Windows Phone 8.1.

Thanks for the hint.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

More on the BT Sport App here - http://sport.bt.com/watchnow/program...id=con_BTcomHP

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            I didn't know it could do that. We have one TV with an HDMI connection to a BT YouView (Humax) box, connected with a HomeHub, and after a year of use we figured out that using it for catchup TV and BT TV does not affect our monthly download allowance - though the BT usage monitor still hasn't been updated sensibly AFAIK.

It might just be useful for another TV if we could access BT TV via the Chromecast gadget, preferably without affecting our allowances.

It looks as though these web pages are relevant - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...e-bt-sport-app - I didn't know about the BT Sport App - we don't watch enough sport most of the time to have been of interest, though we liked the Australian Open Tennis. We have one Android smartphone, so presumably it'll work with that, though not with a more recent Nokia phone running Microsoft's Windows Phone 8.1.

Thanks for the hint.
            I was suspicious of the BT allowance being affected at first, but since I think a football match in HD would use approaching 3Gb and our monthly allowance is 10Gb it would soon show up!

Once you've run the Chromecast app on the android to set things up there will be a new icon on the screen in various 'casting' apps, including the BT Sport app and Youtube, to send output to a chosen Chromecast. (You can name them to choice if you have more than one.)

You can then do anything else with the android, even turn it off, and the casting continues. To stop it use the android again, or pull the USB power plug on the Chromecast.

Comment

• Radio64
              • Jan 2014

Yes, best piece of technology bought in a long time: cheap and effective. Works great with android/apple phone apps (but limited Windows Phone), and with Chrome browser with Windows 8 on PC.
              "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                Yes, best piece of technology bought in a long time: cheap and effective. Works great with android/apple phone apps (but limited Windows Phone), and with Chrome browser with Windows 8 on PC.
                Can you stream things in Italy that are otherwise only available in the UK with this dongle?

Comment

• Radio64
                  • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                  Can you stream things in Italy that are otherwise only available in the UK with this dongle?
                  It's not the CC dongle itself that helps you bypass the 'UK only' bit.

Are you a BBC spy?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Are you a BBC spy?
                    I'm not a BBC spy. I'm just fed up of not being able to access things when I'm outside the UK/EU, for so called 'licence/copyright' reasons. I'm interested in a legal workaround.

Comment

• Radio64
                      • Jan 2014

I'm not a BBC spy. I'm just fed up of not being able to access things when I'm outside the UK/EU, for so called 'licence/copyright' reasons. I'm interested in a legal workaround.
                      Phew! ... actually I don' think there is a legal way to do it but there are ways ..
                      I use a certain add-on (extension) for Chrome.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Are you a BBC spy?
                        I thought everybody knew Beefy is a BBC spy. Thats why we try keep him distracted with Sibelius box sets, obscure russian symphonies, and that stuff that Mr GG finds.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Phew! ... actually I don' think there is a legal way to do it but there are ways ..
                          I use a certain add-on (extension) for Chrome.
                          Yes I'm sure there are ways, but it'd have to be legal - I wouldn't want to go to prison over something as silly as watching Match Of The Day and Question Time on iPlayer outside Europe!!!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            I thought everybody knew Beefy is a BBC spy. Thats why we try keep him distracted with Sibelius box sets, obscure russian symphonies, and that stuff that Mr GG finds.

Comment

• Radio64
                              • Jan 2014

Yes I'm sure there are ways, but it'd have to be legal - I wouldn't want to go to prison over something as silly as watching Match Of The Day and Question Time on iPlayer outside Europe!!!
                              Oh! Well I only watch University Challenge, Mastermind and Top of the Pops. I'm sure I'd get a shorter sentence.

The BBC do have an iplayer for 'foreigners' (paid service) but it only shows old repeats and Eastenders.

Comment

Working...
                              X