X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PJPJ
    • Nov 2010

Windows update fault

if, like me, you're a retro Vista user.....

Page 1 of 11 - did new windows updates and now my fonts look bad - posted in Windows Vista: I did the following updates and now my fonts look different and bad.   (edit, turns out it was this specific update:) KB3013455   I made no other changes to the computer, only these updates.   Some fonts seem the same as before, such as the fonts in the task bar. Others are weird, like the text I am typing right now is variably too fat or too skinny, with jags and dots, like it was pr...

Uninstalling KB3013455 cured that problem, but obviously Microsoft needs to update that Security files so that it doesn't affect fonts.
  • Flay
    • Mar 2007

I'm still on Vista... No way do I want Windows 8.

My computer went wildly wonky a couple of weeks ago. I feel sure it was due to a recent Windows update. After repeated attempts to solve the problem I think it is sorted now that I have restored it to a previous setting and disabled updates.

I await Windows 10 before purchasing another PC...

Or perhaps a Mac....?
    Last edited by Flay; 11-02-15, 23:50. Reason: Trypo
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Window 7 is not that bad. Certainly a big improvement on the dreadful Vista. 8, and even 8.1 are real pains though. I still have an old laptop which runs XP for a few legacy programs (mainly Audio DVD Creator) that will not run under later Windoze versions.

Comment

• PJPJ
        • Nov 2010

My helpful local IT expert suggested going on to Windows 7 a while ago. I'd been holding off to get a new laptop at the end of the year, with Windows 10.

Now I'm not so sure. It seems Microsoft released this problematic patch fully knowing it was producing problems.

Comment

• PJPJ
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
          I'm still on Vista... No way do I want Windows 8.

My computer went wildly wonky a couple of weeks ago. I feel sure it was due to a recent Windows update. After repeated attempts to solve the problem I think it is sorted now that I have restored it to a previous setting and disabled updates.

I await Windows 10 before purchasing another PC...

Or perhaps a Mac....?
          After some nightmare Mac tales on these boards I'm not sure I'd go that route either. In any case, I'd have to emulate Windows for some of my software.

And, as a long-time streamer (Musical Fidelity CLiC) via Windows, I'm not sure I have the inclination to have to set that all up again.
          Last edited by PJPJ; 12-02-15, 23:44.

Comment

• PJPJ
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
            My helpful local IT expert suggested going on to Windows 7 a while ago. I'd been holding off to get a new laptop at the end of the year, with Windows 10.

Now I'm not so sure. It seems Microsoft released this problematic patch fully knowing it was producing problems.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...05107d3?page=1
            It gets worse:

Have a look at Mickey Segal's post on page 6 which illustrates the problem.

Comment

Working...
            X