Streaming players or "clock radios" - suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • muzzer
    • Nov 2013

Streaming players or "clock radios" - suggestions?

I am returning a Roberts Stream i63 whence it came after numerous problems with the software, which I won't bore with here.

The sound quality is however superb. I am looking to replace it with something comparable - that plays everything - internet radio, cd, usb, dab, ipod - connects to my network and sits on the 'nightstand'.

The Roberts did all this in theory. In theory.

Any and all suggestions gratefully received.
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
    [...]Any and all suggestions gratefully received.
    I'm also looking to make a similar purchase. I'm naturally attracted to PURE products simply because a small DAB radio I've had for about 10 years has given good service (although DAB itself, I recognise, is another issue).

(BTW, having a MacBook, I've discovered the huge number of streaming stations available free from iTunes.)

Comment

• muzzer
      • Nov 2013

My set before the Roberts was a Pure - very ergonomic, but the CD player stopped working after a couple of years.......

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        I'm also looking to make a similar purchase. I'm naturally attracted to PURE products simply because a small DAB radio I've had for about 10 years has given good service (although DAB itself, I recognise, is another issue).

(BTW, having a MacBook, I've discovered the huge number of streaming stations available free from iTunes.)
        I am in a very similar situation to you, kernel... though not yet looking to make the purchase because - touch wood - the Pure DAB radio currently in service is soldiering on - the Evoke-3. This has the huge advantage of an SD-card slot, and the ability to record either by direct touch or on a timer. I can therefore record material either for listening on the unit itself, or by plugging the SD-card by a USB adaptor to my MacBook, to add them to iTunes.

Muzzer - I'd suggest this approach rather than faffing around with CDs at the bedside; it also has a socket to plug in an iPod, so if (like me) you have the main elements of your collection there, they are more easily transportable and accessible than by silver disc.

EXCEPT....! Pure have stopped making the Evoke-3 !!

I'm terrified of it breaking (there are lots of scare stories on the interweb about them just failing, stone dead) - mine's been going for 3 or 4 years, no problem...

There seems to be a Roberts out there with the SD card option but I don't like the look of it. The Evoke-3 has such great sound, is so easy to use, does everything.... so (story of my life) they discontinue it.

There. Not much use muzzer but it's got it off my chest!!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Hmm. Please don't diss CDs. They are less faffy than iPods etc.

Comment

• muzzer
            • Nov 2013

No, fair enough. The Roberts 63i has an SD card option, and I like having the CD option as I cba to keep everything on the ipod, plus it connects to my network and tb drive.

So in theory it does everything I could possibly ask.

But the interface is awful - it needs rebooting from a factory reset every couple of months. The display is never fully off even at night.

Basically it behaves as if designed on a Friday by someone rather thirsty.

I can't believe there isn't a product that covers all the platforms and formats and which is ergonomically cool.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              Hmm. Please don't diss CDs. They are less faffy than iPods etc.

A chacun son goût..

But it's not the first time I've heard that about the Roberts' interface, muzzer.

Comment

• muzzer
                • Nov 2013

That's useful to hear in itself. There is a newer model that's identical but has no last fm option. Am tempted but should sit tight. All rather boring.

Comment

• ChrisBennell
                  • Sep 2014

If you are interested in a serious piece of HiFi kit, I've read good things about the Cambridge Audio NP30. There's lots of stuff on the internet about this device including reviews.

See: http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/produc...-players/np-30

It's priced around £400 but there are a few other you can pay upwards of 4 figures for. (Linn for example).

The NP30 has been around for about 3 years, I believe, so there may be other comparable devices now.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ChrisBennell View Post
                    If you are interested in a serious piece of HiFi kit, I've read good things about the Cambridge Audio NP30. There's lots of stuff on the internet about this device including reviews.

See: http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/produc...-players/np-30

It's priced around £400 but there are a few other you can pay upwards of 4 figures for. (Linn for example).

The NP30 has been around for about 3 years, I believe, so there may be other comparable devices now.
                    Solid - but doesn't seem to have any 'record' facility? I'm interested in having the digital equivalent of 'taping off the radio' - the ability to capture and keep programmes that are on when I'm out or doing other things.

Comment

• muzzer
                      • Nov 2013

Interesting. I have a Musical Fidelity Clic for streaming elsewhere in the house - it's the bedside wireless I'm currently concerned with.

Comment

• ChrisBennell
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Solid - but doesn't seem to have any 'record' facility? I'm interested in having the digital equivalent of 'taping off the radio' - the ability to capture and keep programmes that are on when I'm out or doing other things.
                        Yes, that's a slight problem. But I use a desktop PC to do that, using Audacity software (free) to capture the broadcast. The output files can be exported to Flac or Wav files, and then used to create an audio CD.

Its a slightly convoluted process, but the quality of sound produced is brilliant (imho). I guess I could feed the PC output straight into the HiFi amplifier, but as the PC is upstairs, directly connected to the router over ethernet, and the HiFi is downstairs, that means a 15 meter long cable down the stairs!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ChrisBennell View Post
                          Yes, that's a slight problem. But I use a desktop PC to do that, using Audacity software (free) to capture the broadcast. The output files can be exported to Flac or Wav files, and then used to create an audio CD.

Its a slightly convoluted process, but the quality of sound produced is brilliant (imho). I guess I could feed the PC output straight into the HiFi amplifier, but as the PC is upstairs, directly connected to the router over ethernet, and the HiFi is downstairs, that means a 15 meter long cable down the stairs!
                          Not sure the equivalent exists for the Apple products at home...

... the SD card route isn't HiFi but it's so easy - plus my car actually has 2 SD slots in the Media system so I use one with a few good Through The Night programmes (occasionally refreshed when I spot another good one) recorded on to it, so it provides simple, instant on-the-move listening with no need to update the iPod, and radio listening with no danger of Tom Service or Sean Fafferty popping up and ruining the day or my driving style!!

Comment

• ChrisBennell
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            Not sure the equivalent exists for the Apple products at home...

... the SD card route isn't HiFi but it's so easy - plus my car actually has 2 SD slots in the Media system so I use one with a few good Through The Night programmes (occasionally refreshed when I spot another good one) recorded on to it, so it provides simple, instant on-the-move listening with no need to update the iPod, and radio listening with no danger of Tom Service or Sean Fafferty popping up and ruining the day or my driving style!!
                            I'm not an Apple user but I do understand that Audacity is supported on a Mac platform at least.

See: http://www.maclife.com/article/featu...acity_mac_os_x

Good plan to use the car system. Hadnt thought of that !

Comment

• Globaltruth
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Yes, I'm in the market for something similar. I have a Cambridge product - the Minx Air 100

which i think does everything you require, except record. It's v. good, has a fairly small remote control but there are some buttons on the machine itself. It is the size and weight of about 3 house bricks though, so you'd need a sturdy and capacious bedside cabinet. I also have a cheaper Azatom Stealth (NB i have nothing to do with product naming, this is surely one of the worst ever?)

It's at the cheap and cheerful end of the market, bit tinny, needs constant tweaking of the bass end to get any sort of sensible sound. It's this I'm looking to replace...

Bose have a new range of products in this area - I had a slightly jaundiced view of Bose until I read this article explaining that all profits are ploughed back into R&D, not always audio R&D, not always successful - so a lot of which is written off...
                              As the inventor of noise-cancelling headphones celebrates its 50th birthday, Matthew Sparkes hears it is looking to a bold new future

Be interested to know if anyone has taken the plunge..

Comment

Working...
                              X