X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

"Good" in ear or small headphones

Some while back in a magazine I noted that some in ear or very small headphones were recommended, yet they had a price which was very high - over £100, though some did become available at a lower price.

I have several sets of over the ears headphones (Sennheiser, BeyerDynamic), which I think are good, and I'm fairly happy with. What I really want to know is whether there really is such a thing as a "good" set of in-ear or very small headphones, or whether it's all hype aimed at fleecing people who don't know any better.

There are clearly some really bad sets of headphones - the sort of thing one gets on city tours etc., but is it every worth paying more for small headphone sets? Train and bus travel is probably not really conducive to very serious listening anyway, though some people don't seem scared to put on some fairly hefty kit.
  • Ian
    • Nov 2010

These are terrific - custom fitted - unfortunately they start from £205 but they're better than "good"

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

I think the in-ear phones I bought many years ago may have been at least partially responsible for my tinnitus, because stuffed well in, they were the only means loud enough to prevent leakage and obliterate the awful Radio 1 or 2 stuff I had to endure on the works bus every morning and night. Objecting just led to the bus radio being turned up louder to rile me!

Comment

• Ian
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        I think the in-ear phones I bought many years ago may have been at least partially responsible for my tinnitus, because stuffed well in, they were the only means loud enough to prevent leakage and obliterate the awful Radio 1 or 2 stuff I had to endure on the works bus every morning and night. Objecting just led to the bus radio being turned up louder to rile me!
        In ear phones really need to be custom fitted (i.e. from a mould of your ear) they are used by musicians both for on-stage monitoring and ear protection.

I've just noticed, though, that Minerva make a generic pair for about £80

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

I use these with my iPod and find the sound very good - more than acceptable for that medium, and a massive improvement over the headphones that come with the iPod.

Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Ear-canal Phones

There is an element of noise-exclusion (it's not 100% but an improvement in a moderately noisy environment) so they are good for planes, trains, buses etc (I would never use them on the bike). They come with a range of sizes for the detachable rubber ear surrounds so you can find the size that suits you best.

I wouldn't look any further for under £30.
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Flay
            • Mar 2007

I can't get on with the ear pieces like that Sennheiser set that sit deeply in the canal. They just fall out! I can manage those that fit just within the tragus but these do not exclude outside sounds well.

But these have to do as I cannot bring myself to wear full headphones whilst walking the dogs!
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
              I can't get on with the ear pieces like that Sennheiser set that sit deeply in the canal. They just fall out! I can manage those that fit just within the tragus but these do not exclude outside sounds well.

But these have to do as I cannot bring myself to wear full headphones whilst walking the dogs!
              The flexible rubber surrounds of those Sennheisers compress and expand gently to fill the cavity, Flay - they don't fall out in my experience.

There's a close-up here:

the inner mount onto the earphone itself is surrounded by that rubber dome which can mould itself to the contours of your ...ahem... orifice.

I'd give 'em a try. I'd say your anatomy would have to be pretty bizarre for them not to work.... !
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

I'd probably stick one of those large rubber bands around my head, just to keep them in place!

Comment

• Flay
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  I'd probably stick one of those large rubber bands around my head, just to keep them in place!
                  I think I'll use duct tape.
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

I use these with my iPod. They are absolutely brilliant and I would recommend them unreservedly.

They cost me £168 about 4 years ago and this July one of the speakers broke off. I contacted Sennheiser and they sent me, completely free of charge, a brand new set (arrived in 4 days of my phone call).

I think that in the long run, they work out cheap.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                      I use these with my iPod. They are absolutely brilliant and I would recommend them unreservedly.

They cost me £168 about 4 years ago and this July one of the speakers broke off. I contacted Sennheiser and they sent me, completely free of charge, a brand new set (arrived in 4 days of my phone call).

I think that in the long run, they work out cheap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-I...+ear+earphones
                      They work out cheap @£225?

He probably says much the same about his Purdeys

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

I can recommend these good quality,inexpensive,light,dog walking headphones http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-HA-S160-...jvc+headphones

Comment

• muzzer
                          • Nov 2013

I have a pair of Etymotic ER 4Ps that iirc cost alot - c£200? - but I've had them for over 10 years and only have to change the rubbers and filters a couple of times a year. Have proved a worthwhile investment.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                            I have a pair of Etymotic ER 4Ps that iirc cost alot - c£200? - but I've had them for over 10 years and only have to change the rubbers and filters a couple of times a year. Have proved a worthwhile investment.
                            I never heard of Etymotic before. Presumably these which may be hard to get now -

These Referenz models seem the current flavour - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Etymotic-ER-...s=etymotic+er4

Comment

• richardfinegold
                              • Sep 2012

I just lost the little rubbery thing that goes into the ear from my ear buds. That doesn't seem to happen with conventional headphones.

Comment

Working...
                              X