X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frances_iom
    • Mar 2007

poor quality of music played on COTW

Is anyone else experiencing poor quality on the musical examples played in CoTW - many small dropouts and what sounds like peak clipping and generally poor audio - the voice is fine but sounds as though music played from low bit rate mp3 database - possibly it is the link to Iom that is causing the problem but proms seemed ok last night (I seldom listen to mucg R3 these days so havn't listened to any earlier programs today)
  • OldTechie
    • Jul 2011

Seems OK to me on play-it-again - maybe the network connection to Iom was a bit iffy, and the player switched to the 48kbs feed. Speech is reasonably ok at 48kbps. You can tell if you don't use the popout player. Right-click on the player (or the equivalent on a MAC) and it will display the data rate of the active stream. The 320 kbps feed says it is 128 kbps but it really is 320 kbps. If it has switched to the low data rate it will display 48 kbps. It's more confusing on the live feed. Playing it without the popout player is not too easy, but if you do there are three possible data rates available - 48kbps, 192kbps and 320kbps. The display is right for 48 kbps and 320 kbps, but the 192 kbps feed displays as 128 kbps.

Comment

• gradus
      • Nov 2010

Grateful for further guidance. Which player is the popout player? I follow the link from this site and I don't get any info when i right click so I'm going wrong somewhere.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

If you go to the schedule page, http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/programmes/schedules , and click on the title of the programme you want to hear, a new window appears. Click on the double box icon (not the icon to its immediate left) and the popout player opens.

Comment

• Frances_iom
          • Mar 2007

reply to #2 - no it was the fm broadcast admittedly from a local repeater here on Island not iPlayer etc - the following prom was fine with no technical probalems at all with the broadcast

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Bryn, many thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X