• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Latest Windoze 7 update 12/13 August 2014

If you are using Windoze 7, and possibly later versions, beware. The latest set of updates take an age to install (well they do here, anyway).
  • AmpH
    • Feb 2012

I didn't encounter any particular problems with the latest updates, which included security and definition updates for MS Office 2010.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

The set of 12 updates took getting on for an hour to fully install (from initiation of shutdown to fully up and running again here. I note from Googling that I was by no means alone in finding it such an extended process, though unless they happened automatically while I was away from the laptop, (using an Android running smartphone to post), I did not get the whole series of restarts that at least one poor chap encountered today.

Comment

• johnb
        • Mar 2007

As is my habit with this type of update, during the day I used the "Sleep" mode instead of totally powering down the PC. At the end of the evening I "Shut Down" the PC and just left it to do its stuff.

It did seem to be a very big update though.

Comment

• Frances_iom
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by johnb View Post

It did seem to be a very big update though.
          slashdot is noting that some systems are displaying Windoze's other trademark post patch Tuesday - the BSOD "blue screen of death") - http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft...2970228-248363

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Fortunately, though this laptop is indeed running Windoze 7 64 bit it just took a long time. No BSoG. I will have to check the update history to see if the relevant updates were included. I did, however, get a black screen of hanging around forever when I started up again this afternoon. That needed a physical power off and restart (avoiding safe mode) to get back to normal. Still, sticking with Windoze does mean not having to buy a whole lot of new software and faffing about with Maverick.

Comment

• Lento
              • Jan 2014

One option might be to install updates manually so that larger ones can be selected individually. There were 2 large updates amongst the latest lot, which might be slowing things down.

Comment

• PJPJ
                • Nov 2010

I updated this morning - it took some time, especially on the restart. Now moments ago another security update for .NET Framework has become necessary.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                  slashdot is noting that some systems are displaying Windoze's other trademark post patch Tuesday - the BSOD "blue screen of death") - http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft...2970228-248363
                  The 3 'problematic' updates, KB2976897, KB2982791, and KB2970228 all installed without a hitch. No BSoD.

Comment

• Steerpike
                    • Nov 2010

This may help understand the story: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...a287-455020977

Comment

Working...
                    X