X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnb
    • Mar 2007

Squeezebox server developments

If there are people who use the Squeezebox system (for streaming their music) they should know that there have been worthwhile improvements in the Logitech Media Server (LMS) after the last "official" version (7.7.3) that is downloadable from the Logitech Website.

The versions after 7.7.3 have been developed by Logitech's Michael Herger (in consultation with the Squeezebox user community) but as they aren't official releases they are only available from the "beta" download site: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/index.php

7.8.1 is reputedly very stable.

but the "official" community release of 7.8.0 is available here: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/Log...Server_v7.8.0/

7.9.0 (which I am currently running) incorporates significant changes such as new browse modes for Composer and for Conductor (if your files have the Composer and Conductor tag), browse modes for AlbumArtist and all Artists, improvements for cue file support and a plethora of bug fixes, etc, etc. It is IMO easily the best version of LMS released so far. Having said that, the 7.9.0 versions are nightly builds and although I have found they run fine it is always *possible* that the one you happen upon might give problems - though Michael will usually fix the issue in the following nightly build.

Please ignore 10.0 as it relates to the UE range.

Michael Herger has done a remarkable job in the continued development of LMS after Logitech closed down the product line and it is very impressive how quickly he responds to and fixes any bugs that are reported - often within a day.

For more information refer to the slimdevices forum: http://forums.slimdevices.com/index.php
    Last edited by johnb; 13-08-14, 16:02.
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

I thought that Logitech had abandoned the Squeezebox.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      I thought that Logitech had abandoned the Squeezebox.
      It has indeed, but some who had Squeezebox units kept them going, with some even buying new or second hand units around the time that Logitech dropped this line. I do have several units, and it is good to read that some people are still maintaining/upgrading the software which keeps the system going.

There is still quite a following I believe for this former product line, and when I last looked the few remaining new units, and some of the second hand units were selling for quite high prices.

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        It has indeed, but some who had Squeezebox units kept them going, with some even buying new or second hand units around the time that Logitech dropped this line. I do have several units, and it is good to read that some people are still maintaining/upgrading the software which keeps the system going.

There is still quite a following I believe for this former product line, and when I last looked the few remaining new units, and some of the second hand units were selling for quite high prices.
        I use my Squeezebox for Internet Radio. I never could make it interface with my Computer, and since the Squeezebox and the Computer sit next to each other
        in my equipment rack in my two channel system. and feed into the same DAC, I never bothered to figure out what the problem was. I also listen to Spotify from the Computer. For streaming around the home, for the two surround sound systems elsewhere in my house, I use Apple TV, which recognizes my Computer.
        Perhaps for laughs I'll update the Logitech software and see if it recognizes my computer

Comment

• johnb
          • Mar 2007

Richard, it should be fairly easy to get your Squeezebox working.

Before installing any new version of LMS:

What Squeezebox device do you have, e.g. Touch, Duet, Classic?

Have you got the Logitech Media Server (previously known and Squeezebox Server) installed on your computer? If so what version is it? (Open the web interface, click on "Settings", click on "Information" - or open the Control Panel and click on Information.)

PS If you got it working you could, of course, use it for Spotify, iPlayer HD, etc as well as streaming music from your music collection (as an alternative to Apple TV) and control the whole thing from an iPad/iPhone or Android device.
          Last edited by johnb; 14-08-14, 20:29.

Comment

Working...
          X