X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frances_iom
    • Mar 2007

remember Windows 8 - well keep your copy as soon to be a dead O/S

Microsoft looks as though its current flagship is already on the tiles - http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...ows-8-updates/ - why would anyone trust this company in the future? (personally I couldn't understand why anyone did in the past)
  • PJPJ
    • Nov 2010

Will Windows 8 become a collector's item? No? I didn't think so.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Looks like if I want to avail myself of a free 'upgrade' to Windows 9, I will first have to 'upgrade' from Windoze 8 to 8.1 (no straight forward process for the Windoze 8 HP Envy laptop I have but rarely use).

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Looks like if I want to avail myself of a free 'upgrade' to Windows 9, I will first have to 'upgrade' from Windoze 8 to 8.1 (no straight forward process for the Windoze 8 HP Envy laptop I have but rarely use).
        Did any of the articles linked to suggest that MS would actually offer a free 'upgrade'? What I read was a suggestion that it would help its image if such an offer were made, but I don't recall seeing a definitive statement that a free upgrade would be available.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Is all this flurry to get through the numbers a ploy to catch up with Apple, who have been on various versions of MACOS 10 for years?

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            Is all this flurry to get through the numbers a ploy to catch up with Apple, who have been on various versions of MACOS 10 for years?
            I see they're skipping Windows 9 and going straight to 10.
            Determined to put the 8 catastrophe behind them they state:
            "the Windows 10 name also symbolises that this will not be an incremental update, but something of a fresh start."

Comment

• mangerton
              • Nov 2010

H'mmmm. All very interesting. My organisation is currently changing from Windows XP to Windows 7. This is being done over the course of several weeks. I have not yet been "done", but most of my immediate colleagues have.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Why not have real OSX ?
                Or Linux ?

And they won't fix the basic faults that have been there since MSDos and 3.1

Madness

Why do organisations use these things anyway ?
                Open office (for example) works as well as MS and is FREE ?

Comment

• John Wright
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  Why do organisations use these things anyway ?
                  Been using it since '95 and I'm still in business, and I can open documents nearly 20 years old, why change?

Even my accounts run on 'Microsoft Money' which is obsolete now but fine for me as patches were available for XP and now for Win7.

That Money programme brings up interesting data e.g. in nearly 20 years we have spent over £30,000 on groceries at Asda stores!
                  - - -

John W

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by John Wright View Post

That Money programme brings up interesting data e.g. in nearly 20 years we have spent over £30,000 on groceries at Asda stores!
                    I think you have a different definition of the word "interesting" to me

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                      H'mmmm. All very interesting. My organisation is currently changing from Windows XP to Windows 7. This is being done over the course of several weeks. I have not yet been "done", but most of my immediate colleagues have.
                      Exactly the same for me. Slight problem we've hit: some other crucial programs we have to be able to access don't mesh with it! Our IS colleagues said cheerily that they'd patch this later. My big boss told them in no uncertain terms not to 'upgrade' any more of our machines till the bugs were sorted
                      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• mangerton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                        Exactly the same for me. Slight problem we've hit: some other crucial programs we have to be able to access don't mesh with it! Our IS colleagues said cheerily that they'd patch this later. My big boss told them in no uncertain terms not to 'upgrade' any more of our machines till the bugs were sorted
                        Yes. We experienced similar problems, but our big bosses did not issue a similar edict, so the "upgrades" continued merrily. Things are improving now, but a week or so ago, computers that worked were very thin on the ground.

Interestingly, I (and many others) got an automated email this morning saying I was to be given W 7 overnight tonight. Two hours later I (and many others) received a further email postponing the change, sine die. I'm quite pleased, as I go on leave for two weeks tomorrow evening, and I didn't fancy spending tomorrow battling with a new operating system

Comment

Working...
                        X