• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Cookie or IP address?

Having just discovered that I had used my monthly quota of free D. Telegraph articles, this question occurred to me. Cookies appears to be the answer as on a different machine with a different browser I was duly presented with the article I was interested in.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Clearly not the IP address then.

But cookies do worry me a little - spy in the cab.

What, I wonder, was the reason for giving this piece of technology this particular name. I thought a cookie was an American biscuit (though I always imagine it to be rather soggier than the British version - "biscuit" is more onomatopoeic, with more of an aural crunch).

Comment

• remdataram
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Having just discovered that I had used my monthly quota of free D. Telegraph articles, this question occurred to me. Cookies appears to be the answer as on a different machine with a different browser I was duly presented with the article I was interested in.
      You're correct, it is a Cookie. Simply delete the Telegraph cookies from your Browser to 'reset the counter'.

Comment

• Frances_iom
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Clearly not the IP address then.

But cookies do worry me a little - spy in the cab.

What, I wonder, was the reason for giving this piece of technology this particular name. I thought a cookie was an American biscuit (though I always imagine it to be rather soggier than the British version - "biscuit" is more onomatopoeic, with more of an aural crunch).
        it is indeed American (tho thanks to reverse colonisation now seen throughout England )- I think it comes from the American habit of raiding the cookie jar for sugary treats - here the information is stored on the user's own computer and is 'raided' at subsequent visits - yes they can be used to track you though there are many more sureptitious mechanisms available - just loading the twitter, facebook etc images indicate to the respective image providers just what pages you have visited (+ thus your interests) - NSA/GCHQ are not really what you should be angry at but the large multinationals, usually American, who routinely abuse your privacy to build up non-correctable(by you) 'profiles' that can affect how they treat you in future (eg not offering you cheaper accomodation if an Apple user )

Comment

Working...
        X