• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

iTunes Sound of Silence

Don't know if my settings have been somehow altered or I've deleted summat, but I'm not getting any sound from the iMac when I try to get live radio streams via iTunes now. I have the Internet Radio setting, I see the internet tab and the list of classical stations but when I click on the station I want, there's no sound - just the seconds timer ticking over. When I go to the station websites I get the sound all right. What am I overlooking?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

..."...People writing Songs that voices never shared
    And no one dared
    Disturb the Sound of Silence ......"

Sorry ff couldn't resist and even sorrier that I cannot assist.....

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      Sorry ff couldn't resist and even sorrier that I cannot assist.....
      Must admit, the thought was going through my mind too. Comes from years of headline writing - song titles are always a good fall-back :-/ I'm sorry you cannot assist as well
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Don't know if my settings have been somehow altered or I've deleted summat, but I'm not getting any sound from the iMac when I try to get live radio streams via iTunes now. I have the Internet Radio setting, I see the internet tab and the list of classical stations but when I click on the station I want, there's no sound - just the seconds timer ticking over. When I go to the station websites I get the sound all right. What am I overlooking?

I am not a techie, but my first thought would be to reboot the computer, making sure that you turn off I tunes prior to shut down. If that doesn't work, then check your I tunes settings.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          I am not a techie, but my first thought would be to reboot the computer, making sure that you turn off I tunes prior to shut down. If that doesn't work, then check your I tunes settings.
          I've had the problem for some weeks now, so it's certainly been rebooted a few times. Not sure what settings there are, other than showing the Internet button and selecting it. And I can't see anything in the computer's audio that would only affect iTunes.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Have you got the volume turned up on the iTunes interface? It's quite easy to overlook - to the right of the "fast forward" button.

Also, have you the volume turned up on the keyboard - not muted (F10), nor turned down (F11)?

You haven't got any fancy hardware plugged in, either, have you?

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Um, thank you, Dave

I didn't realise that was a volume control - I thought it was a progress thingy ... Don't know how it got turned down.

Another satisfied customer :-)

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Maybe I've been there, done that!

Glad it's fixed now anyway.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Um, thank you, Dave

I didn't realise that was a volume control - I thought it was a progress thingy ... Don't know how it got turned down.

Another satisfied customer :-)
                  That is part of the iTunes settings

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                    That is part of the iTunes settings
                    You've lost me now, Richard.

Not in my version of iTunes! There are features such as cross-fade, but I can't see anything to turn the volume control slider on or off.

It may also depend on what other devices are connected. If I connect to our TV the drivers change, and for some devices there is a choice of drivers, so
                    sound can "go missing" if the wrong one is selected. I wasn't going to go into this level of complexity earlier on - but for example if an HDMI connection to the TV is
                    made, and I guess an optical or other connection for audio, then there could be choices to be made in Mac OS Systems Preferences.

DAC users may also have to select between SoundFlower possibilities, for example.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      Not in my version of iTunes! There are features such as cross-fade, but I can't see anything to turn the volume control slider on or off.
                      Same with mine. iTunes Prefs have cross-fade &c under Playback and the various buttons to show (like Internet Radio) under General. The volume slider is just part of the permanent display

Comment

• Radio64
                        • Jan 2014

Hello wireless, my old friend ...

"Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          You've lost me now, Richard.

It may also depend on what other devices are connected. If I connect to our TV the drivers change, and for some devices there is a choice of drivers, so
                          sound can "go missing" if the wrong one is selected. I wasn't going to go into this level of complexity earlier on - but for example if an HDMI connection to the TV is
                          made, and I guess an optical or other connection for audio, then there could be choices to be made in Mac OS Systems Preferences.

DAC users may also have to select between SoundFlower possibilities, for example.

Perhaps I'm thinking of an older version of I tunes. I haven't played with the settings for a while.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

I am trying to search itunes for lists of albums on the Melodiya label.

any tips on how to do this in a way that brings up lists of albums by composer?

Cheers.

TS
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              I am trying to search itunes for lists of albums on the Melodiya label.

any tips on how to do this in a way that brings up lists of albums by composer?

Cheers.

TS
                              Do you mean in the iTunes store, or in a library you have created? I'm assuming the former.

1. Put in the name of the composer you want in the search box.

In my version (11.11.00) this will bring up a display of "albums" by <your composer>, and underneath there will be "tracks".

2. There is an option to See All - select that,

3. Then look for where the view is for Albums - it should be in a pane on the RHS, and away you go.

It won't be easy to pick out the Melodiya ones, however. I'm not sure if there are other ways. Perhaps if you can get details of the iTunes API you could do some programming to get a list, but that's getting way over technical I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X