X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I've gone back to the previous setting because one thread disappeared completely from the What's New? list
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Don Petter

ff,

Just caught up with your last posts. I've just done the same test - Close window, go back in with a new window, and all my What's New? threads are bold. Two minutes ago there were about eight that I had caught up with, and were not bold.

So it is still happening. Not sure if subscriptions are relevant. This test purely entailed leaving What's New? and then going back to it.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Well, I've just navigated away from the site completely, off the forum, off the FoR3 site. Coming back, I have 18 What's New? threads and the four I've read are shown (i.e. light/not bold). There can't be a general setting which needs adjusting. Is it something in your browser?

Let me give an example: the FoR3 homepage navigation bar, with dropdown menus, works fine (for me) in Firefox, IE, Safari and Camino. But in Opera the dropdown menus don't work. When you move the cursor to select a menu item, the menu closes. I've tried to run this past Opera but without getting an explanation. So the problem could be either your browser, or a setting on your browser. Can you try a different browser?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Don Petter

My menus drop down OK. (At least Community, Forum Actions and Quick Links do, I don't think the others have drop-downs?)

I haven't any immediate access to a different browser, and I'm not really that worried about the effect, as it works all right within a session, and I normally keep the window open but minimised. I was just trying to confirm that the OP wasn't alone (have we heard from him again?) and maybe help investigation by trying to report my exact symptoms.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
            My menus drop down OK. (At least Community, Forum Actions and Quick Links do, I don't think the others have drop-downs?)
            I meant the dropdown menus on the FoR3 homepage, not this forum, and only if you are using Opera. My point was to illustrate that browsers do have occasional incompatible features with certain sites. The labour involved in tracking down what it is that Opera doesn't like about those particular dropdowns is outside our technical competence. As long as all other browsers behave properly, we would regard it as a bug with Opera, not with our site.

Comment

• Mark Sealey
              • Mar 2007

How threads are marked does depend on your status (stored on the server) when logged in as the same user; IOW the database knows what you have marked.

Those having anomalies, you are consistently logging in with the same (correct) login and password, aren't you?

And then Marking Forums Read when you 'leave'?
              --
              Mark

Comment

• Don Petter

Always the same login etc, but what is this about marking forums read when you leave? Never done that on any other site (eg the 'old' site)?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I never mark forums as Read. If you don't log out at the end of a session, your record is recognised by cookies, not the database [or rather the cookies are needed to go to the database). If you actually log out, those cookies are cleared. But I didn't understand that that was the problem, since you didn't say that you Logged Out, just navigated away from the page.

Edit: Let's try again. If you don't Log Out at the end of a session, your cookies should deliver the same thread record as the last time you were online, be it a couple of hours ago or two days ago. I don't understand why you would want to mark a forum as read if there are threads which you haven't read. If you have read them, they should display as 'light'.
                  Last edited by french frank; 07-01-11, 22:12.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I never mark forums as Read. If you don't log out at the end of a session, your record is recognised by cookies, not the database [or rather the cookies are needed to go to the database). If you actually log out, those cookies are cleared. But I didn't understand that that was the problem, since you didn't say that you Logged Out, just navigated away from the page.

Edit: Let's try again. If you don't Log Out at the end of a session, your cookies should deliver the same thread record as the last time you were online, be it a couple of hours ago or two days ago. I don't understand why you would want to mark a forum as read if there are threads which you haven't read. If you have read them, they should display as 'light'.

ff,

That's just what I'd assumed. In all of this, I haven't logged out for a week or so. It has sometimes in the past dropped me out for no reason, but not lately.

Comment

• Martin Reynolds

The problem mentioned in my opening post seems to have gone now.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Martin Reynolds View Post
                        The problem mentioned in my opening post seems to have gone now.
                        Not for me it hasn't - just the same, I find.

[Maybe you could find what has corrected things for you?]

Comment

Working...
                        X