Microphone recorders for recording interviews.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Microphone recorders for recording interviews.

Often I have to use a microphone voice recorder for face to face interviews. I will place the tape recorder on a table about 2 or 3 metres from me and the subject. Currently I use a Olympus Pearlcorder S701 with MC60 or MC90 microcassettes and I have also started using a Olympus digital voice recorder VN-5500PC. Both serve their purpose but I want to more up to something better.

Can anyone please recommend a good quality piece of equipment?
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

As mentioned in the "Death of the CD" thread, I recently upgraded from the Zoom H2 (itself a very nice little recorder, but with a rather too small screen) to the new H2n. It's a very versatile little device with five (yes 5) good microphone capsules and four switchable configurations for their use. However, it might be worth your looking at the much cheaper, but still very fine, Zoom H1 too. If getting the latter, make sure it is of recent manufacture. Early ones had a battery life problem.

Is the best deal around for the H2n with accessory pack (pretty much essential). Beware of cheaper 'bundles' offering just a tripod and case (OEM) as the extras.

Oh, and here's the best deal i can find for the H1:

This website is for sale! soundexposure.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, soundexposure.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Beware, there is at least one mislabelled product claiming to be an H1 that I found for a few £ less.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Seconded (you beat me to it Bryn)

Comment

• old khayyam

I'd like to keep this thread alive as i am also currently looking for a small recording device much like the ones shown, and i wouldnt like to go over £100. The H1 features seem sufficient, if the blurb is to be believed, although i have some reservations about "auto level control" as this usually makes things a bit messy. Plus i dont really like the look of it, so if there are any other suggestions, i'm all ears.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by old khayyam View Post
          I'd like to keep this thread alive as i am also currently looking for a small recording device much like the ones shown, and i wouldnt like to go over £100. The H1 features seem sufficient, if the blurb is to be believed, although i have some reservations about "auto level control" as this usually makes things a bit messy. Plus i dont really like the look of it, so if there are any other suggestions, i'm all ears.
          The auto level control is a selectable option, not obligatory.

Last edited by Bryn; 14-12-11, 13:36.

Comment

• old khayyam

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            The auto level control is a selectable option, not obligatory.

Ah good. Then it should have a manual input level control somewhere..?

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by old khayyam View Post
              Ah good. Then it should have a manual input level control somewhere..?
              Indeed, right next to the external microphone input:

The H1 is simplicity itself to use, and gives very good results with well defined stereo imagery due to the vertically coincident x/y microphone capsule arrangement. I would not bother with Zoom accessory kit, however. I find a G-clamp/tripod far more flexible. With a bit of luck you will find a suitable one in a Jessops shop.

H1 images linked to are at http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h1/

Comment

• old khayyam

Excellent. Top of my list so far. Thanks for that. Though if there are any others i'd still be glad to hear about them.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                  Often I have to use a microphone voice recorder for face to face interviews. I will place the tape recorder on a table about 2 or 3 metres from me and the subject. Currently I use a Olympus Pearlcorder S701 with MC60 or MC90 microcassettes and I have also started using a Olympus digital voice recorder VN-5500PC. Both serve their purpose but I want to more up to something better.

Can anyone please recommend a good quality piece of equipment?
                  Thanks for all your assistance with this.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

After over 20 months, are the recommendations for the Zooms still close to the top of the list? Has anything else come along in the interim period?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      After over 20 months, are the recommendations for the Zooms still close to the top of the list? Has anything else come along in the interim period?
                      I did some recordings today with the new Yamaha PR7 which is about the same price as the zoom but according to some is a bit more solidly built (I was with some young folks so a robust machine was essential) quite impressive given the cost. Not much in it though..... these folks know their onions IMV

http://www.solidstatesound.co.uk/ and are a source of good advice and quick service. You can always get things cheaper on some website in an unspecified location but sometimes it's better to have people you can communicate with !

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        That new Zoom H6 looks rather interesting. I will stick with what I have for the time being, however.
                        Last edited by Bryn; 01-08-13, 10:45. Reason: Typo

Comment

• KipperKid

Once you've recorded your sounds, what software/hardware do you need to create a 'track' from it? For example, supposing you wanted to add birdsong over motorway sounds and add a backbeat.

Comment

• KipperKid

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                            I did some recordings today with the new Yamaha PR7 which is about the same price as the zoom but according to some is a bit more solidly built (I was with some young folks so a robust machine was essential) quite impressive given the cost. Not much in it though..... these folks know their onions IMV

http://www.solidstatesound.co.uk/ and are a source of good advice and quick service. You can always get things cheaper on some website in an unspecified location but sometimes it's better to have people you can communicate with !
                            Can you attach the PR7 to a tripod?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by KipperKid View Post
                              Can you attach the PR7 to a tripod?
                              Yes ,

Comment

Working...
                              X