X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Breadandwine
    • Sep 2024

Hi, nice to be here!

R3 has been my main source of listening since I returned from Australia in 1973.

I enjoy most of its output, but I'm particularly keen on its jazz programmes.

I've joined R3Forum tonight specifically to join in any protest about the complete lack of regard shown to jazz fans by R3's schedulers. I heard on Saturday that there was to be no JRR next week in favour of opera - and tonight I learned there was to be no Geoffrey Smith's Jazz next week, either, because of Womad. (That's a new one on me, it's generally always opera!)

It has been a continuing frustration to me to see the way that jazz programmes are shunted around the schedule, or even axed altogether, to make way for some overblown rubbish. (Oops, let the mask slip a little, there!)

I don't mind the odd broadcast times so much, now we have iPlayer (although what about other jazz fans who aren't online?), but the cancellations really gripe. And to find two hours of jazz gone in one weekend is just too much!

OK, I'm quite happy to acknowledge that opera has its place on R3 (although if I was R3 controller...), but all I want is a level playing field for both genres. When was the last time an opera (or even an orchestral concert) cancelled in favour of a jazz programme? I suspect the answer to that would be 'never'.

So my question is: What can we do about this disgraceful state of affairs? There must be something - isn't there!?

Now I've got that off my chest, I'll have a good browse around the forum and see what's what.

Cheers, B&W
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

'Morning B&W - and welcome! You sound like a fairly typical R3 jazz fan - so go seek! And anywhere else,of course (though not, perhaps, A Night At The Opera )
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Breadandwine View Post
      Now I've got that off my chest, I'll have a good browse around the forum and see what's what.

Hi Breadandwine, I'm totally with you on the 'opera' front.

Look forward to reading lots more from you given your 40 year adherence to R3!

With a name like that, don't miss 'The Refreshment Room' - there's already 2 threads with (parts of) your name on

"...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

You may find the general slant on the Jazz Forum to be fairly tongue in cheek Breadand Wine + very knowledgeable and with wide experience. The issue you write about is a very old musty chestnut that is always being knocked around the Jazz board....without ANY success as far as I can remember. A new voice would be great....!! Welcome.....
        bong ching

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

indeed welcome!

and yep it is digraceful .... eigthobstruction has had his tongue in someone else's cheek for a week now ... watch out for him ....
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Breadandwine

Thanks for the welcome, folks!

And for the Refreshment Room hint, Caliban, I've had a look around there and I've a few contributions of my own I shall make very soon.

This week I've been overdosing on Stan Kenton on G Smith's jazz. He's been a favourite of mine since Cuban Fire - which languishes in a chest along with hundreds of other jazz (and a few classical) LPs, waiting for me to get around to digitising them.

Glad to see a few threads on Dave Brubeck - the guy who first turned me onto jazz with his Jazz Goes To College, which I first heard in 1959. I was serving in the RAF in HK at the time and someone in the block played the record. I was very witty, taking the mick, whilst the first side was being played - ran out out steam during the second side - and went out and bought the LP the following payday! And I've never looked back.

Thanks, Dave!

For years, until I learned a bit more about how jazz worked, I was convinced that it was only the audience applauding that stopped Dave in full flight on Le Souk. Every time I heard the audience come in, this would piss me off!
            Last edited by Guest; 25-07-13, 13:24.

Comment

Working...
            X