• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Apology

Deep apology for the brief downtime this evening which was due to a misunderstanding between the administrators. In future, there will be an announcement in advance with an estimate of how long the boards will be down.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Paul Sherratt

And there I was thinking you were creating an entry for next year's Turner prize.

Comment

• FFAdminMKS
      Administrator
      • Nov 2010

FF's being very charitable. Not a 'misunderstanding'. I jumped the gun. My fault entirely - and so my sincere apologies to everyone online at the time. It won't happen again, I promise.
      --
      Administrators

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

A disembodied voice arises from the cavernous depths
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

ff and Mark
          Oh, for goodness sake, please don’t apologise!! We cannot possibly thank you enough as it is. Odd closedowns from time to time are all part of these things. It assures me that the forum is run by humans (smile smiley).

Comment

• johnb
            • Mar 2007

I just thought you were emulating the BBC Message Boards!

By the way, only some of the smileys have images associated with them on the Advanced Editing. Does this mean that the images have somehow been lost?

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

I was getting very over anxious because I didn't want it to be thought that there was anything fundamentally unstable about the software itself ...

Erm, yes, the BBC smileys have all temporarily disappeared as a result of the upgrade. I well remember how in the Old Days we used to disdain such things, and much preferred a judicious use of such things as : o) and ;-).

I will have to manually upload them all again. Should I? Have we become addicted? Are they now an essential part of life? :-?
              Last edited by french frank; 08-12-10, 13:17. Reason: Unexpected appearance of vB smiley which made my comment lose its point.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

er yes but only if you have the time and energy FF ....
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• David Samuels

What a good idea ... keep smiling

They seem to be available to me in Advanced Edit.

Comment

• Pianorak
                    • Nov 2010

Please don't apologize - the link on the Database Error message directed me to R3OK which but for the downtime I probably wouldn't have come across.
                    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

I do like smileys, because sometimes the raw text can sound more aggressive than the writer intends. A touch of humour gives the messages a touch of human warmth.

Comment

Working...
                      X